• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

network card died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zabomb4163

3 weeks ago 1 day after i had reinstalled my motherboard into a new case the integrated lan just died. so i figured i must have hit it with some static or somthing. anyway i buy a new network card and stick it in my pci. 10 minutes ago i turn on my computer and now i have a dead ethernet card in my pci slot.

question- i think both of these failures are linked

facts-
1) no one had gone in the computer 1 week prior to now
2) the router has a 3 foot cord connecting it to the computer in question

3) 4 other computers on the network are working perfectly
4) other pci devices are working fine

anyone have any idea what happened? ethernet overvolting??

What's the brand of the PCI and also the onboard?

I've personally never had overvolting issues, but I've had cards that just die for no reason. Websites hang while loading, downloads fail, that sort of thing.

Actually now that I think about, a friend's computer's onboard ethernet did die completely on him, no power to it what so ever. Never did find out why this happened.

the point is that 2 devices that almost never fail did so within 2 weeks.......somthing i have a hard time blaming on chance

I assume you have pulled the PCI NIC and tested it in another machine to make sure it's dead, right? If not, it could be the OS, or maybe a BIOS issue.. I've seen the occasional issue where an onboard and offboard NIC fight.

Other than that, as long as you havn't done anything like wrap the excess 90m of cable around an AC generator, I see no direct reason for the death of two NICs. I would definately change the port your using in the switch, and replace the cable as the first step, it could be shorting in some weird and magical way.

*update* i stuck in my other computer, worked perfect

i stick it in another pci slot than it was originally when i was putting back in rig in question and it works perfect

i think it may have reset the card in some way taking it out

ok go to the Networks connection page and select the option on the right under "Network Tasks" you will see "Setup a small Home or office Network" select this and then select "this computer connets to the Internet through another PC or residential Gateway" let it make all the selections for you and then finish the conection. Now if you have have other Onboard Network connections it will have created a bridge and you should be able to see the network and be seen!

If this does work you have :

A/. exactly the same problem as me !
B/. A working network but no-one knows why !

I would be very interested on what motherboard you have!

Whenever a NIC "dies" one of the first things to do is to ping your loopback address---127.0.0.1. If this works, then your nic is physically working. If not, then I'd toss the card.
And, sometimes things do go weird. Cards overvolt, wires just die for seemingly no reason. Check all of your physical connections first, and then get into your protocol issues. Personally I'm thinking that it's an OS problem (like windows forgetting to turn on the card, etc). Good luck! :)

CharlesHF said:
Whenever a NIC "dies" one of the first things to do is to ping your loopback address---127.0.0.1. If this works, then your nic is physically working. If not, then I'd toss the card.
Pinging 127.0.0.1 only tests the TCP/IP stack. If you have a bad/incorrect driver, resource conflict, or your TCP/IP stack is messed, then it will come up as not working. The card may still be fine, just needs some configuring. I always test it in another slot (or better, another computer) first, before chucking it. I have only had one NIC die on me personally, but I've replaced lots at work.

maybe i wasn't clear enough......my network is working exactly the same it was before after the steps i mentioned earlier

Back