• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Holy Moley! Laptop Powerhouse!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greg M

I'm doing another round of hardware evaluations. I'm looking at a Compaq N620c laptop with a Banias based Pentium M processor. It's a 1.4 GHz CPU with a 1MB L2 cache. Battery life is excellent, but not while crunching, what else is new.;) So far, I've only had a couple of high AR WU's, but they've completed in 1:51. Processor efficiency is 2.7x CpF. That's better than an Alpha with an 8MB cache! If I get time, I'll run the benchie. I wonder how quick a 1.6 GHZ Pentium M will crunch?:drool:

Last edited:
Wow 1:51, that's awesome. What's a Pentium M, Greg M? Is that a PIII or P4 based? Maybe I'll sell my current laptop and get one of these.

It's the latest mobile processor from Intel. Its codename was Banias and is now part of the "Centrino" chip suite Intel is marketing.

Pentium M is sorta like a P3 with some of the P4 bandwidth enhancements. Really what they should have made the P4 to begin with.

i've been thinking of it, and trying to talk my GF into selling her SONY Athlon4 1GHz laptop for a 1.4-1.6GHz PentiumM laptop. and she does like the new SONY Centrino laptop too.....well, we'll see.....:D

I have one of these chips sitting here (1.4ghz Pentium M), but nothing to test it in, getting a board that is usable outside a laptop is proving impossible! THis would be a nice chip in a desktop as well....:(
No, it doesnt work in any existing desktop boards, even with pin modification to allow it to fit it is not compatible with P4 :(

:drool: Any word on wether Intel is porting it to the Desktop?? :drool:

As soon as I went and read through the Intel forum trying to figure out exactly what this 'Centrino' stuff being advirtised on TV was, I knew I wanted it as a SETI cruncher.

... If only I knew it was THIS good! Benchmark the thing Greg!!!!
JigPu

Intel would be stupid not to adopt this core to the desktop.
(So don't expect it ;) )

For lower AR WU's, CPU efficiency improves to the 1.2x CpF range. It did a .389 in 2:38 and the current .410 was 2:29.

Work and RL are an absolute biotch right now. Will bench if I get the time.

For the record, "Centrino" is a suite including the Banias based Pentium M, chipset, and wireless chipset. The processor alone is a Pentium M, not to be confused with the P III-M or P 4-M. Clear as mud?;)

Last edited:
Greg M said:
Intel would be stupid not to adopt this core to the desktop.
(So don't expect it ;) )

For lower AR WU's, CPU efficiency improves to the 1.2x CpF range. It did a .389 in 2:38 and the current .410 was 2:29.

Work and RL are an absolute biotch right now. Will bench if I get the time.

For the record, "Centrino" is a suite including the Banias based Pentium M, chipset, and wireless chipset. The processor alone is a Pentium M, not to be confused with the P III-M or P 4-M. Clear as mud?;)
wow, that's the time of a good memory 3GHz P4 speed!! :eek:

everywhere i seen, a 1.6G P-M (1MB L2) is about or a bit faster than a 2.4G P4. but guess it proved again SETI LOVE bandwidth & L2 cache!!!

now show me the Prescott please................(1MB L2 of a Northwood core plus other tweak) or the next gen. of Banis, Dothan(?), that will have up to 2MB L2.....:drool: :drool:

LandShark said:

or the next gen. of Banis, Dothan(?), that will have up to 2MB L2.....:drool: :drool:

When are these coming out? Seems like SETI loves big cache. I'm really thinking about replacing my laptop, maybe I'll til one of these make it mobile.

Dothan will slide into the Pentium M role. It will be Intel's first CPU built on the .09 micron (90 nanometer) process.

I get corporate volume negotiated pricing, so I don't know what they go for on the street. The retail price of the one I'm referring to is $1799.

http://www.smb.compaq.com/dstore/Mi...8000&oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&AirTime=False

Dell is offering an Inspiron 600m with Pentium M starting at $1099 after $100 instant rebate and $150 mail in rebate.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/bsd/offers/specials_3x_mobile_4m.htm?DGVCode=JP

Last edited:
i've seen typical street price from close to 2 grand Toshiba to mid-2 grands SONY, IBM, etc....

that Dell IS really good price; however, it's too bare minimal for my taste (or today's standard). no 15" screen, no dvd/cdr combo drive.... yeah, you can config. it, but than it all add up....

funny to notice the other 2 model at the right? ONLY 128MB memory for the WinXP!!

I'm too busy using it during what should be my sleep time to keep up with the goings on here. I don't get 4 day weekends like the eager beaver. ;)

Back