• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a new Computer Question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marl65

I am currently building a AMD based puter. I have a couple questions about some hardware choices I have to make. I would like puter to be a B+ or a A- mostly gaming machine.
1. I wish computer to be DDR, like 256 MB. But I have no idea on who makes a good motherboard. I am thinking I would like computer to be like a 1.5 or a 1.7 GHz. Also, which generation of CPU would work/work well? Who would you recommend?
2. I am currently leaning towards a ATI or a Nvida PCI video card. I am thinking about 64 Mb of DDR. Also which one of these cards now supports TNT2? Which variety of these cards would you recommend?

Thanks for your time and effort,
Steven Rehfuss

Get an nForce motherboard. Something like the NF7-2 (I think, look on the boards for the good nforce board).

For the processor, the best bang for your buck is the Xp1700+ Tbred from www.excaliburpc.com

You don't want a PCI video card, they are virtually obsolete. I would suggest a Radeon 9500 of GF4 ti 4200 if you have the cash. Also, TNT2 is an old nVidia card, with 32MB Ram, you don't want one.

Gimme more

Congrats on entering the madness! If you want to overclock, this will determine what mobo features and processor core you need.
That being said, I would suggest the avenue I took when I started building my own systems a few years ago. Get the best you can afford with the most expandability. In this case, an AMD processor with a Tbred core and a motherboard with a 333Mhz Northbridge is probably your best option. The nforce2 chipset has gotten pretty good reviews, especially from gamers. I prefer motherboards from MSI because they are pretty easily configured and allow for pretty good overclocking. I agree with the previous reply, a PCI video card would be a mistake. Stick with AGP cards if you like playing games other than solitaire. I personally like Nvidia cards because I got a dud Radeon a few years ago when I started and I hold grudges. Nvidia has always treated me well.
Last but not least, do your research with reputable sites like tomshardware.com and, of course, overclockers.com Good luck!

Last edited:
Build a P-4 system if you want a max gaming rig. The Abit BH7 mobo is only about $90 with built in LAN and sound. This is a DDR system, so get a 512 meg stick of good RAM like the Corsair XMS Pc3200. Then get a P-4 Northwood 2.4b CPU and overclock that bad boy to 3+ gig. Finally, ATI Radeon 9500 or nVida TI4200 128 meg AGP vid card. A good P-4 rig won't cost much more and will stomp AMD. The mobo is about the same price, the RAM and vid card will be exactly the same, so the CPU is the only difference and it's not that much more.

Back