• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Configuring monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vap

Registered
Hi,

I recently bought a second-hand 21" monitor (CA-2111) made by Smile.

Some of the buttons of the control panel are "squished" and I cannot adjust the brightness nor the size of the screen (i.e when I launch and maximize a window on that monitor, a part of it disappears through the left edge of the screen).

I should say that I am using two monitors, both made by Smile, a 17" and a 21" which are connected to a Radeon 9700 based card(Sapphire).

The vga cable of the 21" one is connected to a vga2dvi converter and then plugged into the graphics card dvi port. I've tested all possible combinations (6).

1. 17" by itself (vga)
2. 17" by itself (vga2dvi)
3. 21" by itself (vga)
4. 21" by itself (vga2dvi)
5. 17" && 21" (vga2dvi)
6. 21" && 17" (vga2dvi)

The results were more or less the same. (i.e. misaligned screen)

My question is this:

Is there an application that can provide the same functions as the monitor's control panel does?
ATi's utilities allow me to adjust the brightness but I haven't found a way to adjust the screen size so far.

thanks,
vap

Not that I'm aware of. I'm not aware of any way a PC software program could adjust monitor geometry, I don't think any signals on that are even sent to your computer.

How "squished" are these buttons? Are they stuck, the victim of a disgruntled employee, or did someone drop the monitor and FUBAR that part of the control panel?

If its the first, I would unplug the monitor for a day to discharge the monitor and carefully open up the case to see if they can be freed or repaired. But if its the other two and damage was done to the board where the switches mount, you are out of luck.

BHD

Thanks for the reply BaldHeadedDork (lol)
I think that they are the victims of a disgruntled employee [hehe, :)].

The screen geometry and brightness are automatically adjusted every time I power up the pc. It is never as it should be, clear and aligned -- sometimes it is usable (i.e. I can read text), sometimes it is not.

At this point, the desktop occupies the middle 1/3 portion (horizontal) of the screen. Yesterday it occupied the entire screen and a small part of the desktop was "lost" through the left edge of the monitor.

Has anyone experienced this type of problems?

I'll try to find a local tv/monitor repair shop to do the job for me.

thanks,
vap

Last edited:
hmm, just so you're not shocked, most monitor/tv places charge by the hour, something like $35-50 an hour so since it was a USED monitor, you might be better off getting another one. Local computer shows have pretty cheap monitors

Back