• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alcohol?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AcEmAsTr

Isnt alcohol primarily cold all the time? would you really need a radiator?
Perhaps find a liquid that is permanently cold and ditch the radiator?

a permanently cold liquid would be ideal, too bad that it doesn't exist in our world....

once you find it though, you'll have a nobel prize in the bag.

while that idea looks good, at first, you have to remeber some things, like energey (read heat) can neither be created nor destroyed, so when you add heat (read energy) to the coolant, what ever the coolant is, you have to allow it to escape some how, and the fastes way is to use a rad of some sort. but if your res was open and had enought surface area for evaporation cooling it should work fine.

well i was thinking that if u hold a bottle of acetone/alcohol its colder than the room around u.

ahh well, im a n00b at WC anyway

the reason alcohol "feels" cold is because it evaporates fast. fluids absorb heat from the surroundings when they evaporate. try it--leave a cup of rubbing alcohol and a cup of water out on your desk for a few days. the alcohol will evaporate much faster than the water.

of course, evaporation properties don't help you much in a closed water cooling system. and I doubt you'd want an evaporative (ie--"bong") water cooler with alcohol in it...for one, it would have to be replenished frequently...and for another, your computer room would stink really badly all of the time.

I dunno how alcohol would perform in a closed water cooling system...anyone else?

i wouldn't deal with alcohol, i've personally had many electrical problems around my water. if i used alcohol, my case would probably blow up from a leak. Plus, alcohol doesn't really preform a lot better, but it lighter then water which would make flowrates higher.

I'm guessing you haven't taken highschool chemistry or physics yet, AcEmAsTr...

ffieroboy has extensive experience with alcohol in his watercooling system.

he gave it up after he came home to a massive leak one day and felt lucky that his room hadn't burned down. :D

alcohol is needed in all computer products, i can recomend the following, it makes coding easer, but it make it harder to read the code notes the next morning ;P

Tamnabulin 12 year single malt rare scotch whiskey
Auchentoshan triple distilled 15 year aged scotch whiskey
and just about any burbon from TN works good also :D

i've tried alcohol and it's quite good in transferring heat ..... but you gotta make sure your system is "really really leak proof" .... airtight if you must. i tried caulk sealant instead of the silicone sealant and the alcohol ate it up started leaking hehehehe good thing about it is you smell it right away. my previous system i also used alcohol as water seemed to make my clear plastic tubing deformed/hardened .... so i tried alcohol and it softens it instead plus it won't corrode or dirty-up as easily as plain water ...... but for the experts i know they all recommend just pure distilled water with a mixture of coolant or anti-freeze

Back