• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toshiba Tecra 8000 Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

I have the opertunity to purchase this laptop for around $117. I was wondering if anybody knows what the maximum CPU upgrade would be for it, as it will come with a PII225, and I have seen some tecra 8000s claiming to have PIIIs up to 600Mhz. Any ideas on whether an upgrade is possible, and what to?

Not necessarily a bad deal, but what are the specs for that laptop? RAM, HD, etc. ? If u planning on upgrading the CPU on it it- I'd forget about it. I'm not sure if an upgrade is possible on a laptop that old tho...... upgrading the CPU on a laptop costs WAY more than to just buy a good, used laptop thats fairly recent (2000 or later). I would scrap the idea of upgrading the CPU. However, If u could add a couple NICs to it, I tihnk it might might a pretty good linux router. Or if u need a spare PC to do simple word processing on, I think that that might also work. My laptop is only a PII 233, 64MB, 10GB, 2 MB Video and onboard sound. I'm running Win2K Pro flawlessly:D I use it at school to do papers and listen to music and write music. Personally, I'd buy the latop for that kinda price- I might try to haggle a lil for it to get it down to about $100. But yeah, I'd buy it. I'm sure I would find a good use for it.

Thanks for the reply, but the thing is, it will have a 10.0Gb HD, 192Mb ram, 14.1" XGA active matrix, and a vid card with tv out and (according to a spanish website translated from google) OpenGL and Direct3D support. That is another issue. Is that (the 3d support) possible on a laptop that old?

Anyways, the point of the spec rant was to show that the only thing really keeping it from being a portable AVP2 or UT or CS lan machine is the CPU. Im pretty sure a 366 can be put in it. This laptop was toshiba's "one model fits all" laptop, and they claimed to have over something like 4800 configurations for it. Im just curious as to if there were ones sold with different mobos that fitted a certain CPU range. Anybody own one? Thanx, sorry for the length.:D

Back