• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead CPU vs Dead Mobo - how to tell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hound

Registered
I posted in the Abit Mobo section regarding my computer woes. I haven't been able to get my NF7-S v2/2100+ to post after I selected 'load optimized defaults'. I have tried about everything under the sun, but I think either the mobo or cpu is dead (or both). How can I tell which?

What memory do you have ?
Probably your memory can't handle 'optimized' settings.

I had a similar experience.

Just do what I.M.O.G. told you.

I tried to clear cmos with everything the manual directed. The 'last resort' clear was to switch the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, remove the battery and atx power while the cmos was discharging. This didn't work for me either. I have 2x256 Corsair xms pc3200. I've tried just about everything. I reinstalled the heatsink, swapped video cards, unplugged everything but the ram, cpu, mobo, vid card... Any other ideas? I've had a couple of computer savvy friends try to help, but they are stumped too. The system initially posted when I first put it together. However, it shutdown with an alarm (overtemp I believe - heatsink not installed right? just a guess) when I was formatting the disk to install XP. I selected 'load optimized defaults' in the BIOS, and now it won't post at all. I've tried about everything, so that is why I'm guessing the cpu or mobo has failed. I can't imagine how though - it did post after the shutdown. It only wouldn't post after I selected that BIOS option. Help please! :confused:

Welcome to the forums.
If you got shut down from a heat-related or heatsink problem, there is a good chance your CPU is toast. See if one of your friends will let you try the CPU out on their board(s).

I would agree with Stool. Usually the easiest way is to just swap components with known-good parts.

As for the BIOS resetting, how long did you leave that jumper switched for? I've seen mobos that need a good 30 seconds before BIOS gets reset.

If you take off the heatsink, have a good look at the CPU - if there are scorch marks, and the CPU looks to have overheated (often they go kinda grey in places... well, you know what something burnt looks like!) and if you can see burn marks, then its a pretty sure bet that your CPU bit the dust...

What type of CPU cooler were you using? The stock one that came with it, or something else?

I have tried the jumper thing many times, and the longest I've left it is 5 minutes... so I think you guys are probably right about the CPU being toast. I inspected the CPU and it doesn't LOOK like there are any obvious burn marks. Mind you, I am completely new at this. I don't know if any of my friends have a CPU they can swap, but I will start asking around. Since there is no visible damage, can I RMA it? I am using a SLK-800(U) and a Smart Fan II.

Hound said:
I have tried the jumper thing many times, and the longest I've left it is 5 minutes... so I think you guys are probably right about the CPU being toast. I inspected the CPU and it doesn't LOOK like there are any obvious burn marks. Mind you, I am completely new at this. I don't know if any of my friends have a CPU they can swap, but I will start asking around. Since there is no visible damage, can I RMA it? I am using a SLK-800(U) and a Smart Fan II.
Do you have / can you find a CPU to swap into the board to see if the board will work? (you could go to a computer shop and get them to test a CPU in the board for you, but most computer shops are expensive, and like to charge you upwards of $40 to try that).

Your heatsink and fan look good, I assume you had them properly installed with thermal grease, right?

For now, remove everything from the system except video card, ram and cpu (and motherboard, and power supply). Does the video initialize when you start the computer? Can you get into the bios?

As for the RMA, did you buy it boxed, or OEM? If it's OEM, contact who you bought it from, if it's boxed, contact who you bought it from, and if they don't offer a warranty, contact AMD. (I heard something a while back about having to use the OEM heatsink, otherwise they wouldnt' rma it.. is this true?)

Last edited:
su root said:
(I heard something a while back about having to use the OEM heatsink, otherwise they wouldnt' rma it.. is this true?)

I think that is the case... if you install ANY other heatsink, then your warranty is void. How they find out, I never know.

If you RMA it, be sure to clean the Arctic Silver off the chip! Arctic Silver all over it is a dead giveaway that its probably been used with another heatsink (and therefore that the warranty is void... grr)

I'll search AMD.COM for linkage.

ImG

iamthegreatest said:
I think that is the case... if you install ANY other heatsink, then your warranty is void. How they find out, I never know.

If you RMA it, be sure to clean the Arctic Silver off the chip! Arctic Silver all over it is a dead giveaway that its probably been used with another heatsink (and therefore that the warranty is void... grr)

If you can prove you used a rated HSF for your CPU, AMD will still replace it...I had to RMA a XP1800 last year and had to send pics of the HSF I was using...got my new XP1800 about 3 weeks later...

iamthegreatest said:
/me stops looking on AMD...

Stupid hard-to-browse site....

NP...I feel your pain on that site...that is why I called them when I had a question about the HSF when I had to RMA the 1800...was a lot faster then trying to click every link and I sure wasn't going to wait for them to respond to an email...

I was able to go over to a friend's house and swap CPU's. The good news is the CPU is fine. The bad news is that it must be the mobo that's screwed up. Any final tips on what to try before I RMA the mobo? I've determined that it's definitely not the video card, and I doubt 2 sticks of RAM went bad on me. It gets power fine with the red/green lights, but will not post. :mad: I've reseated everything about 10 times. People have suggested replacing the battery or CMOS jumper.

If possible, go over to your friend's place, and swap out everything except the board, so all of his required components running on your mobo, see if that boots. I doubt it will, by the sounds of it, but just to make sure..

Dig up your reciept and call the place you bought it from. See if you have a warranty with them. If so, you may be able to walk in, hand over the mobo and the reciept, and walk out with a new board.

Back