• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burning in Antec PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

After running some tests on my system I realized that my Enermax 431W PSU is not cutting it anymore so I decided that I will order an Antec TruePower 550W PSU. I've read that some people had to "burn in" their PSU after they first got it because it initially gave low rail voltages. When they burned in their PSU it allowed the rails to stabilize. I was wondering if this is something that I should worry about. Also when installing the PSU should I return my computer to default settings or can I leave it OCed.

Now I know that larva said that all you need is a 350W PSU, but I have a lot of stuff in my computer. Listed my components here, but here it is again:

Specs below and:
SB Live! 5.1
2x 60GB Maxtor HDs in RAID0
2x 40.9GB Maxtor HDs in JBOD
DVD-ROM/CD-RW
Zip250
DD5 controlling 1x 92mm fan & 1x 120mm x 25mm fan
1x 80mm fan
1x 120mm x 38mm fan
2x Cold Cathode Light Bulbs

and when I order my PSU I plan on getting either an ATi 9800 Pro or PNY geForceFX 5800 Ultra.

The last engineer I asked about this wondered if it was an unregulated PSU. Apparently the voltages of regulated PSUs aren't affected at all by burn-in.

First run TP's needed a burn in period. This was fixed and they should no longer need a 'burn in' period.

Also no matter what PSU you're using if the rails are low via MBM or the BIOS double check with a multimeter. If they're still low then you have an issue.

AntecRep

AntecRep said:
First run TP's needed a burn in period. This was fixed and they should no longer need a 'burn in' period.

Also no matter what PSU you're using if the rails are low via MBM or the BIOS double check with a multimeter. If they're still low then you have an issue.

AntecRep

AntecRep, thanks for the reply, and I know my voltage is low with my current PSU. I could tell because my computer was stable at 3.42GHz with 1.65V before I added the extra 92mm fan and the cold cathode lights. After, games that were stable would either crash back to the desktop or just totally lock up my system. I verified this by turning off the lights and the fan and the system was stable again. Had to drop my speed to 3.325GHz and default voltage to get my system stable with the lights and the fans on.

As for the burn in period, I plan on getting the PSU from newegg. If, in the rare chance since newegg goes through their inventory fairly quickly, I get an older TP what should I do for the burn in period? What were the readings on older TP PSUs that needed a burn in period when they were first installed? Thanks.

what is a burn in period? What do you have to do? I've seen this term for memory and cpus. What does it involve?

I've never found a good explanation why a regulated PSU would need that. After all, they measure their outputs and make adjustments to maintain constant output voltages, and their voltage references are very stable with time, temperature, and line voltage.

Actually I never heard why the needed the burn in either (at least nothing that made sense to me). But normally the readings started low and would climb with use.

Most folks ran Prime95 and normally saw improvement within 4-8 hours.

AntecRep

Back