• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9600 Pro reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Hilts

Well the reviews of this card are out (Tom's, HardOCP and some others). As expected, it usually doesn't perform quite as well as the 9500 Pro, but overall it's still pretty good as the clock increases make up quite a bit of ground. And it still nicely beats the 5600 Ultra, especially with the quality settings turned up.

Take a look at the Splinter Cell benches especially, where the 9600 Pro is ahead of the 9500 Pro. Some other titles it is around even or ahead as well, like Serious Sam II. In general, I think people were a little too hard on ATi, condemning them for removing the four pipes, before even seeing any benchmarks to see how the card performs.

BTW, I think the HardOCP review probably does a better job in comparing it to the 5600 Ultra because they use settings which make the image quality comparable. Also of note is that while the early samples did not overclock, ATi has stated that the 9600 Pro cards that will be shipped will not be clock-locked. This should make for a very overclockable card

Crap after my post i see yours. I hate it when that happens. Can we combine the two please mods. Id hate to have two redundant threads on the same thing.

thats just sweet, it would be swell if ppl can find a way to "open" other 4 hidden pipleines if they are available... that would be a beast of a card.

No hidden pipes available on this one, this one is built from the ground up. Still a good card without them though, and I would expect the street price to decline after not too long.

PhobMX said:
thats just sweet, it would be swell if ppl can find a way to "open" other 4 hidden pipleines if they are available... that would be a beast of a card.

they aren't hidden, they are just not there so it's virtually impossible unless you do a softmod to replicate them (i doubt that would happen)
so basically i would get a 9500 pro quickly before it goes off the market.

Pricewise, it looks like a 9500 pro is still a better buy now though.

Besides, I think the 9500 pro prices will drop too making these cards even more attractive.

We haven't seen any performance benches of an OCed 9600 Pro yet. It should be a good OCer though, the memory on the reference cards are rated at 350MHz, so something like 450/350 isn't out of the question, and maybe much more.

Snatch up the 9500 Pro's before they go out of stock. Im glad i have one now more than ever. ATI was smart with building the 9600 from the ground up so it wont eat into its 9800 sales like the 9500 np and Pro did with the 9700 series.

Yep, I'm very happy with my 9500 Pro. Plus it's probably the first time I've bought something for my PC that still hasn't depreciated after four months.

b3d hit 537.75 on the core with the new rage3d tweaker with stock cooling...

Last edited:
Ummm Hilts i think thats the wrong thread. I get some Abit MB Forum thred instead. If thats the case OMG. :eek:

OMG this guy maxed out the sliders in Rage3D. 537.5 is just insane! Imagine if someone puts one on watercooling with its 2.86ns RAM. I forsee some extreme overclocks out of these cards in the future.

EDIT Hes going to edit the registry to up the sliders for the OC. I cant wait to see his final OC on this thing with stock cooling.

b3d is up to 560 on the core now...still stock cooling...only 40 more mhz to go for a 200mhz overclock!

Back