• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ebay software selling rules?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

Well I scored some unopened OEM copies of software from my Network Administration teacher (yes he was giving them out, I didnt steal anything lol).

But I want to sell these on ebay. From what I have heard this is fine as long as you sell a computer critical peice of hardware along with it. Is this true?

Mods, if this somehow is considered warez then delete it.
;) Now we are just asking about policy. -Ridenow

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested myself. They say for sale with a new PC only, but from what I understand that is not enforceable. I read the fine print and all I got from it was a headache.

What software are we talkin bout here? If its anything Microsoft, than all you need(as an absolute bare minimum) is like a piece of a circuit board or somethin, :D

Well, directron.com offers thumb screws at $0.19 each for purchase with OEM software....rofl. They also say that you can do it if you buy it in threes.....3,6,9,12, etc....

if you sell the stuff on ebay, offer like a floppy or something...that's hardware...hehe.

I've sold tons of games on ebay, and never have had a problem. The rules state that it might be ilegal, but don't do anything to stop the sale, just check to see how many copies of the latest game are up for auction and you'l' see what I mean.

it's not games, it's OEM software....OEM software MUST be sold with hardware.....but the benefit is it's uber cheap. I picked up windows XP Home FULL version OEM at directron for $86.....it's essentially the same stuff that HP and Dell use...it comes with a CD, a manual, and a little sticker with the activation code on it...you put the sticker on the case...that's what you see on any pre-fab computer.

no, I'm not using that version....lol...I put it on a computer I built for a friend.

Right, I didn't happen to notice the OEM part. Anyway here's what ebay says about that.

OEM Software

eBay rule:

Do not list "OEM" or "bundled" copies of software on eBay unless you are selling it with computer hardware.

Definition
Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), or bundled software, is software that is obtained as part of the purchase of a new computer. OEM software licenses usually prohibit the purchaser from reselling the software without the computer or, in some cases, without any computer hardware.

Warning
Listings offering OEM copies of software may be ended early by eBay. Multiple violations of eBay's OEM Software policy could result in the suspension of your account.

just throw in broken hardware :p

THis auction is for a broken ATI mach 64 PCI with a wopping 1MB along with this AWESOME video card you get the OEM version of Windows 98 Second edition, Bid and bid often for there is no reserve!

just throw in broken hardware :p

THis auction is for a broken ATI mach 64 PCI with a wopping 1MB along with this AWESOME video card you get the OEM version of Windows 98 Second edition, Bid and bid often for there is no reserve!

alright thanks alot. Now let me just hope that there is someone still out there that uses WindowsNT and is willing to buy a legal license for it lol.

DaveSauce said:

Well, directron.com offers thumb screws at $0.19 each for purchase with OEM software....rofl.

Minotaur sells thier screws for $0.10 each for even bigger savings. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is an OEM copy which requires that this be bought with another piece of computer hardware. We recommend the our Ten Cent Screw (part #17600035).

Back