• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

game server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AdvanS13

i need a game server for our team. was wondering what is recommended for at least 10-12 players max? playin operation flashpoint. i need a list or what cpu, ram, etc, also does the video card matter on a dedicated server?

im lookin for amd system most likely mainly do to cost:)

spanks;)

Video card doesn't matter for running dedicated servers. CPU speed isn't terribly important either, provided it's somewhat modern.

What you'd want is RAM and lots of it, and a fast disk system. 1 GB is a decent amount for running one or two dedicated game servers. For disk I'd look at the WD 8MB Cache drives at minimum, if not something nicer. (Maybe SATA and some Raptors)

SMP is not completely necessary in this situation but the more you're having this server do, the more SMP will make a difference.

(e.g. if you're serving -one- dedicated game server and doing NOTHING else, skip it. If you're serving two or more dedicated games, serving files on your home network, running http/ftp servers.... then get a dual processor machine. DC projects [Seti/Folding] would be a reason to get a dual processor machine as well)

Yea, I hear ram is essential. CPU power isnt all that much of a neccesity. I dont have too much experience, but I think a nice 1ghz athlon with a gig of sdram should be able to host a game. The main factor is bandwidth. You need lots of that.

CPU isnt your primary concern, but dont neglect it. I have an old Athlon 700 with 1Gb RAM, which really struggles with BF1942 and more than 24 players.

Xtc4u said:
I got a awesome system for unning dedicated server but my cable is speed capped severly. I cant have more than 6 ppl in a server before they start lagging to high heaven.

Have you run the TCPOptimizer from speedguide.net? It can help optimize your network settings for your internet service.

Skiing Squirrel said:
Not to steal the thread, but it kinda does has some relevance...
What is a good upload speed for internet? Whats the minimum you would have? Like 300k?

I don't know, but I just tested my upload speed here and I get 158 kbps with my cable connection. This seems to be fairly consistest (on this testing server.)

Depending on who I use to do a download test, i get between 700 and 1500 kbps. It seems to vary a lot. Not sure if it is because of the connection, or the testing server.

Last edited:
Well I am set to comm with the network as good as possible. Not exactly sure what my upload speeds are in kbs but in KB/s I max out at 35 to 40 KB/s. Downloading is over 200+ on most sites. I'm on Road runner cable. Not sure what else to try.

Just ran that test i got 1966 on download.
Can't get the upload test to run right. All i get is a blank page after it runs.

Last edited:
My home server supports 6-8 people in CS with a 256kbps upload rate. It supports 10-12 if they are all from ATTBi because we are all on the same ubbernetwork (Yes, I ment ubber as in over! :))

From experience with some game servers (BF1942, CS, UT, etc) I would have to say bandwidth (Memory/Harddrive) is very important. For HDD, a 8MB cache with a small aerial size is good (IMO), like the WD400JB or a RAID-0 of 4 of them. That's a damned nice 160GB RAID. 1GB+ of RAM, preferably DDR266-333, is highly recommended. For processor, I say go as high as you can afford. Many game servers require a lot. But, if you are going MP (Which I take it you are) I have heard that dual PIII 1GHz/512kb do as well if not better then single 2.4GHz, because most game server apps are multi-threaded.

Here’s the type of setup I would go with:
1-2GB RDRAM
2xPIII 1.2GHz/512kb
2/4xWD400JB (RAID Controller needed!)
8-16MB video card

Back