• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with printer problem diagnostic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twump

hi guys, i just got a message on my machine from a client who says when he trys to print he only gets the corner of that he wants to print. think photoediting and you have 2 layers, you shift the top layer down and to an angle so that only the corner areas overlap. so basically 75% of the paper comes out white and in one corner is the little bit that printed. but the part that printed should be caddycorner to where it is. I hope i am describing this so it makes sense.

I never print anything so i couldn't think of any solutions off the top of my head. I am going to goto his workplace later today (thursday) and try to get him printing again but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas before i go there and give myself a headache trying to figure it out.

thanks,
twump

btw the printer is a network printer. it is running off the parrallel port on the first computer and networked to another through a hub. the problem seems to be coming from the secondary computer. computer 1 is win95 and computer 2 is win98se

I plan to try recalibrating the printer and reinstalling the drivers. thats all i can think of now.

twump said:

I plan to try recalibrating the printer and reinstalling the drivers. thats all i can think of now.

Also check the way he prints, makes sure he isn't printing the 'current selection' (versus the entire page).

And check to make sure the resolution of the image he is trying to print isnt through the roof. if you have an image thats 1200dpi and your printer can only print 300dpi, it will make the image 4x as large to compensate for the difference (this is a software setting that has been a problem for me in the past)

well i went and checked it out. the problem is weirder then i first described. first i was semi wrong about the orientation of the little bit that prints. it will print 1/3 vertically of the page its supposed to print. but that 1/3 is supposed to be on the left and it prints on the right. now here is the weird part. it ONLY happens on things he trys printing from the internet. anything already on his comp he can print fine but if he trys printing a webpage or anything net related it prints weird. I checked all the settings, aligned and cleaned the head, and everything is fine. i even tryed saving a webpage to his desktop and printing it and it came out screwed up. he printed a wiring diagram thats part of his shop software thats installed on his comp and it came out perfectly.

I'm going to reinstall the drivers for it but if that doesn't work i'm pretty stumped.

Try clearing the IExploder settings to default, it sounds like IExploder is causing this, not the driver (since he can print other complicated documents fine).

Back