• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

thoughts on first pc im building

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pvc_and_frost

i am preparing to build a completely new gaming system from the ground up. i have about $1500 to spend, and maybe a little more depending on my job.......

mobo-i want an nforce2 with the nvidia soundstorm, as it gets better performance, i can upgrade sound later.....does the a7n8x have that?

cpu-i am somewhat familiar with overclocking, but not to the extremes....either a 2100 or a 2500 here.

memory-kingston hyperx---2x256 ddr333 cl2

video card-hercules 3dprophet 9800 pro

speakers-logitech z640

case-not sure yet, either the dragon or plusview1000amg or matrix case

monitor-hoping to go lcd depending on funds, but pretty much anything leftover will be spent on it

harddrive-wd800jb or 80gig with 8mg cache

cd-rw-asus 52-24-52x cdrw

mouse-logitech mx500

keyboard-samsung somthing, cant remember........

and i believe thats everything i need....

so just any thoughts, especially on a mobo with soundstorm apu

Looks pretty good to me man. I'm personally a big fan of the Nforce 2. I'm amazed at the prices down in the states if that's below $1500.

Best of luck with the system.

Forget the LCD too, you'll ultimately be happier with a good CRT solution, in the 19" or up range. Your local Walmart might have 19" KDS monitors in stock at the insane price of $188.change.

Quick suggestions / confirmations:

Barton 2500 in the $150 range, sweet.
Any decent nForce2 board, like the Asus or the Abit NF7 Rev2.
Skip the PC2700/DDR333 and get at least 3200/DDR400, from a reputable mfgr. Kingston Hyper-X should be fine.

If your sound budget cuts into your core box budget, wait until later to buy the $400 speaker set, etc. Build the foundation solid, and everything else can follow later.

what nf2 mobos have the soundstorm? overall i hear it has good audio quality, and 10% more performance than any sound card....other than sound disabled....LCD, just like the idea of it, but my friend got one, and i dont see the point......spend the money i was on the LCD on a 9800 w/ 256mgs ddr2 hehehehehe

I would go with pc3200 memory if you are planning on ocing (corsair xms cas2 pc3200 would be my recommendation).

I think you will like the Asus A7N8X motherboard alot.

As for monitors I would steer clear of LCDs, especially considering your budget. A good LCD for gaming would just devestate your entire budget. On the flipside you can get real nice quality 19" CRT monitors without breaking the bank.

Back