• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wire management tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrHatchet87

Registered
Okay... I'm already planning on sleeving my PSU cables sometime soon, but, do you guys have any other tips for tidying up the wire mess in my case? Problem is that I'm using a SF-201T, which has windows on both sides, as well as a top window, so hiding cables behind the MB tray, or above the PSU doesn't exactly work... so, what would be the best way to hide extra PSU cables and other stray wires?

Oh yes, and, I'm a relative noob when it comes to computers, what's the 6 wire plug for? (Wires go black, black, black, orange, orange, red). Is it something I might need in the future? Or can I just snip the thing off entirely?

Well, for tidying up wires I like using zip-ties. They're easy to use, not too noticable and easy to remove if you have a pair of dykes (I can hear the jokes rolling in now) :)

One tip that I have been told a few times and plan on using soon, is to leave the top CD drive bay (5.whatever inch), and use that space to store wires and all. Rounded cables help, and I heard that some people hide their wires behind their motherboards.

Rabid Snail said:
One tip that I have been told a few times and plan on using soon, is to leave the top CD drive bay (5.whatever inch), and use that space to store wires and all. Rounded cables help...

I do that, but its one of the middle bays that I use. It works pretty nicely.

I've heard of people using heat-shrink tubing, but I wouldn't ever want to get an open flame to close to my wires. I think the person that tried this ended up melting his PSU wires and had to get a new one.

Other than that you might try to get some ribbed black plastic tubing and stuff all the extra wires in there, I did that in my case, but granted I don't have windows, so I don't know how good it will look. Here's a pic of what I am talking about.

tubing220.jpg

what the hell is a dyke? :p

seriously tho, is that what the tool is called to remove those things? cuz ive been lookin for a dyke then and i cant find em anywhere? heh those damn zip ties are a pain cuz i always fear im going to cut the cables...i need a dyke

Dyke is another word for wire cutters. Cut the zip tie across the locking block and you'll never nick a wire.

BHD

ahhh...well, i know there's a tool for removing the zip ties, but ive never seen it anywhere ive looked..i guess wirte cutters would work just as well :p

dykes would be side cutters, and your supposed to use a high heat blower for heat shrink not flame. Don't suppose too many people know that about the heat shrink, I've never tried blowdryer but in high heat, low fan might work.

split loom is quite ugly...and especially electrical tape wrapped around the wire...i mean what were they thinking?...spend a bit more and get cable sleeves...here or some other place

yes a blow dryer works great for heatshrink, and you should never use a lighter or flames near electrical wiring to shrink things, you could possibly damage the coating over the wires.

Hmm... I have split loom in my case already... and I thought I said I was going to sleeve my cables anyway... once I sleeve them, I'll be getting rid of most of the split loom. And, as far as heatshrink goes, my dad has a heatgun made for shrinking heatshrink, so I'm all set there. My biggest question is really just, where to hide the extra, unused cables. The best suggestion so far is in the 5 1/2" bays, I'll probably go with that.

So, about that 6-wire connector... is it safe to get rid of or not? Will I regret it if I snip it off now, and, end up losing it?

moorcito said:

I've heard of people using heat-shrink tubing, but I wouldn't ever want to get an open flame to close to my wires. I think the person that tried this ended up melting his PSU wires and had to get a new one.

That person's an idiot. You don't use an open flame to shrink HS tubing, you use a heat gun. An open flame would just catch the tube on fire.

just a side note of correction, a dyke is a 45 degree angle wire cutter, at other angles it is just a wire cuter, or a snipper

the six wire cable is only for pentium mobos...have atx?...snip snip away...there's a square 4 wire cable that you can snip too...also for pentiums

unless of couse you want an alernate source of 3.3v, 5v, or 12v

Cool... once I get to sleeving... off comes that 6-wire connector. I'm using the 4-pin P4 aux connector though, so that stays.

Back