• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bottlenecks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Disco_Stu

I've heard people talking about differant hardware causing a 'bottleneck' or a vid card benig 'bottlenecked' by a slower processor, but what exactly does this refer to? Is it the ability of the processor to handle differant amounts of information from the vid card, ram etc?

I did a forum search, but I think it turned up half the threads on the board, not really very helpful.

Could someone maybe post some examples of what hardware would cause a bottleneck and why? I can't be the only one who dosen't know! :p

The bottleneck refers to the weakest component.

An example would be having a computer with a nice XP2100 with PC66 SDRAM. Everything would be able to run fast, except the memory. Memory would be the bottleneck.

Now, if someone could find a mobo that can have PC66 and an XP, I would be impressed. :p

Back before I upgraded to my 128MB ti4400, my video card (32MB TNT2) was the bottleneck. Since I had a processor, raid array, ddr ram,.... all that was perfectly capable of playing high end games. But the TNT2 was the thing that screwed my gaming performance. In your system, I would have to say that your GF2 is the bottleneck as far as gaming performace. But your ram and cpu look all good. So you really have no big bottleneck.

so there's no specific definition? just what ever is slowest? makes sense, duh. Sometimes I look at stuff to hard, haha

Back