• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp without video card ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Um, most motherboards have onboard video, which acts like a video card. Just plug your monitor cable into the back of your compuer to the plug that fits it. : /

Not that I know of. Your best bet is to use a motherboard with onboard video, or use a cheap PCI video card.

A monitor, however, is not required.

My old Linux router used to work fine without a video card. I just put one in to set it all up, and once it was running I telnet'ed in when I needed to.

You can't boot without a graphics card, but I'm toying with the idea of pulling it out once running. Apperently the trick is to be real quick about it.....

flux said:
You can't boot without a graphics card, but I'm toying with the idea of pulling it out once running. Apperently the trick is to be real quick about it.....

(cough) ;)

Some (SOME) BIOS have an option that will force boot even if no video is detected, which is ideal for things like file and print servers.

Otherwise, if you're building a system for a purpose like this and think you just don't need a monitor for 99% of the machine's operational lifetime, get onboard video.

I currently have my old 450mhz p2 setup as a linux firewall/router and it boots just fine without a video card, and it doesn't have onboard video either.

Most new boards won't work without a video card, and forget it if you're running windows.

Linux or dos - fine

flux said:

is your video card and/or motherboard dead yet? you can't just be pulling cards out while the computer is on... you might get a little pretty spark show for a second... there is a chance that you won't damage anything, but the chances are very high...

Pulling cards out of a life computer is not a great hobby. :)
Besides, if you run windows and rip out the video card all of a sudden windows will undoubdetly hang.
:rolleyes:

Yarr said:
Pulling cards out of a life computer is not a great hobby. :)
Besides, if you run windows and rip out the video card all of a sudden windows will undoubdetly hang.
:rolleyes:

think about it like this: your computer is a little child, the video card is a lollipop. try to tell me that when you rip that lollipop (video card) out of the child's hands (motherboard) that he/she wouldn't throw a fit :D

Back