• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Epia 5000 for file server, any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petreza

Hi,

I whant to build a small fanless 24/7 file server with the Epia 5000 motherboard/cpu combo from NewEgg.com for $92. To the motherboard I will connect two 120GB 5400rpm Maxtors with some mp3-s, avi-s and data-files and 256MB PC133 RAM. To the file server will be connecting 3-4 computers. Also, I plan to connect a scanner to it to share it with the other computers. OS - W2K.

My questions:

1. --- Is there any reason not to go that way?
2. --- If there is, what are your suggestions? - remember - fanless and about $92.
3. --- Should I spend $45 more and get the EPIA-ME6000 because it supports HDs bigger than 137GB?
4. --- Should I run FTP server or just share the folders with the files?
5. --- What fanless, small, and cheap Power Supply would you recomend - it has to be able to handle very small loads - 15W - 25W? - I don't like those 12V PS made specificaly for the Mini-Itx-es - I prefer a regular 110V PS.
6. --- Anything else I might have missed?

Thank you!

Last edited:
dont know about the hardware question but as for ftp, if your only sharing the files locally on your newtork or whatnot I wouldnt do FTP, jsut share the files. If you want to do an FTP then set it in ADDITION to the file shares.. so internally goes through standard sharing and external goes through FTP. And btw, access times for remote computers and such is affected by proc/RAM capabilitites and not just the HDD's since its running stuff over TCP/UDP/whatever... just to keep that in mind. As for the hardware, sorry, never used any Epia stuff yet. not robust enough for current applications so no clue

Back