• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateway Hard Drive Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

I took out the old 9GB Western Digital Hard Drive from my 5 year old Gateway. The thing is like indestructible. It doesn't come with any screws, just these bolt type things. I've tried a few tools, pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, I can't get the thing open. All I could accomplish is bending some of the metal back a little. Any tips on how to get this thing open?

A lot of drives have torx type screws. Any particular reason you are trying to pop the cover?

you might need to scrape part of the label off... just feel for places that have some sort of indent in the sticker...

if you are doing a window mod to your hard drive, i would recommend doing the running the shower trick if a clean room isn't available. i am sure if you do a search for hard drive and shower or something like that you will come up with some results. the torx nut is usually in the middle of the hard drive where the center of the platters are attached... i didn't have anything to take off a torx nut so i just used a pair of needlenose pliers and that did the trick.

Thanks for the tips, but I don't want to mod it. I have no need for it anymore, and I thought I would destroy the disk. Not that it has anything interesting on it. Since I am not going to use it, I might as well destroy it.

take the magnets out of it... they are really strong and fun to play with :) i can put one of them on one side of my hand and put the other on the opposite side and it says :) i took apart a 1 GB seagate not too long ago (it had not real good use since it was loud and small)

Yah, I intend on taking those out too. I read in a post here that they are very powerful and you have to be careful with them.

you really don't need to be careful or anything... around tv's and monitors yeah, but just don't throw em around or anything...

hehe if you get a magnet near a monitor, it will make the color and picture distorted for a sec. if you left the magnet there for any extended amount of time, it can permenately damage the monitor. that's why you need to make sure that you use shielded speakers with a computer system (especially if they are next to the monitor.) i'd take some pictures if i had a digital camera :D but i wouldn't suggest trying it cause i don't want to be the reason your monitor gets messed up :)

Okay, Thank You. I still need to get speakers, no sound since I built my computer. I will look for the shielded ones. I sure don't need to break my new monitor! :)

Back