• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Widescreen Monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frost Byte

Do you guys know if the even make a widescreen monitor, either LCD or CRT, it dosen't matter to me. I know some notebooks now use LCD widescreens, and i want my desktop to have one too.

thanks

Frost Byte

Viewsonic, Samsung, and Sony all have widescreen LCD monitors out. They're given a 17" screen size, with native res of 1280x768 I think. Newegg.com has them for purchase. I'm pretty sure they all use the same panel, just each manufacturer packages it differently.

Samsung also makes a 24" widescreen LCD monitor; Sony makes a 23" widescreen LCD; a few other LCD manufacturers produce 22"+ widescreen LCDs (Iiyama, CTX, LG, maybe Eizo)....but they are ALL ridiculously expensive....at least $2000 in each case, and when you get into that range, video bandwidth starts to become a problem for DVI connections.

Sony also makes a 24" widescreen CRT, but it is massive in cost, energy use, weight, and size.

Personally, however, I'd rather get dual normal aspect ratio LCDs on a dual-head video card. For instance, two nice 17" LCDs (with very thin bezels, as NEC and Samsung have) would offer a 2560x1024 desktop, and would not cost much more than the higher cost of the widescreen LCDs due to the novelty of those special screens. However, don't let my personal opinion change your mind.

Thanks man, I was just wondering if they were out they how much they would be. It sucks they are so expensive, but oh well. Ya i'd like to have dual LCDs, that'd be really sweet

Well, thanks again

Frost Byte

They are totally not worth the price at all. You could get a pair of decent 17" ones for the price of one widescreen LCD. Or even better yet you could get a Dell 2000FP (which I just bought!) and marvel in the UltraSharp-ness that is 1600x1200 native res on a 20" LCD

Back