• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedstep Laptop problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
I have a presario 2800t laptop. P4 1.6ghz, or so it says. It has speedstep technology and I noticed that it would never go above 1.2ghz. So today I tried to get it to 1.6ghz so I disabled speedstep in BIOS. It did not work. Still only runs at 1.2Ghz. I don't know how to fix it? Any ideas? Before I call compaq and sit on hold for four hours I figured I would try here first. I like the speedstep thing for conserving the battery, but when I am at home and leave it on folding all the time the extra mhz really helps.

Does it have the Intel Speedstep utility installed? If it does you might want to remove that and see what happens.

I don't want to remove it, I just want to temporarily disable it...I will look for the utility. Any idea where it might be?

I don't know how speedstep works or anything, but my sister's AMD laptop requires you to have the CPU under full load to hit it's 1.4GHz. You could try running Prime or something on it and then checking the speed and see what happens.

*stupid edit* You said you fold... So I guess that you'd be checking your CPU speed while folding. OK, never mind my load idea since it's allready loaded.

JigPu

mdcomp said:
I don't want to remove it, I just want to temporarily disable it...I will look for the utility. Any idea where it might be?

Well, you could always reinstall it again. It's a free app that you can get off of Intel's website incase you uninstalled it but couldn't find the reinstaller.

As far as the location goes, if it's running you'll see an icon in the system tray, if you don't see one there then the SpeedStep utility isn't installed. If you visit this link, at the bottom of the page you'll see what the icon will look like., unless you're running XP, and according to the page XP has speedstep built into it, if that's the case then I'd check in under Advanced Power in the Control Panel on how you might disable it. http://support.intel.com/support/processors/mobile/pentium4/tti002.htm

BTW, I assume that this happens when it's on AC power right?

Edit: I just thought of something else, instead of disabling speedset in the BIOS, try changing it to max power or something like that, so instead of completely disabling it it will just use max power when it's on the battery.

Last edited:
moorcito said:

Edit: I just thought of something else, instead of disabling speedset in the BIOS, try changing it to max power or something like that, so instead of completely disabling it it will just use max power when it's on the battery.

The only thing in Bios is to enable or disable speedstep, nothing else that has to do with power or anything else. I have xp and I looked in power options and don't see anything about speedstep.

This is getting extremely frustrating. I have disabled speedstep and yet it still goes at 1.2ghz. When I was in Bios it said the processor was 1.6Ghz. This is getting annoying arg...can't wait to get back to my athlon xp at home. Lol.

I have this exact same problem with a Compaq Evo N800c.
The laptop is a P4M 1.8ghz that runs at 1.2ghz all the time. Speedstep has been disabled in the bios
It's been almost a year since this thread was updated, any one figure it out by now?

Maybe it's a 1.6/1.8ghz proc. in a board that only supports proc's up to 1.2ghz? I've been thinking of upgrading my lappy recently and noticed that socket 478 been out for a while. This might have been a marketing scheme.

"We can put a 1.8ghz P4 in last year's model lappy and sell it for today's price! Too bad it still runs at last year's speed..."

BTW, my crappy 1.33ghz Celly sayz it's running at 1333mhz in windows. It lacks speedstep though...

Back