• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broadband by power lines?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

I stumbled across this article by accident looking for amateur radio sites, but i found it very interesting none the less. This is article talks about two plans for data distribution over power lines. One is to feed small neighborhoods with fiber and then run them over the power line for the "last mile". This one looks to be the more promising as power lines are not the cleanest environment for sending data. The other method would be the local power distribution station acting as the fiber feed for hundreds. I think that each user at the end of this if they get it working will get too little bandwidth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/10/technology/10POWE.html?ex=1051094315&ei=1&en=4bcffa8f03673af3

Well it is already possible to network a house by using the electrical outlets....the only company to my knowledge that makes this stuff is calld Siemen's (pronounced Sea-Men's)

bubba gump said:
Well it is already possible to network a house by using the electrical outlets....the only company to my knowledge that makes this stuff is calld Siemen's (pronounced Sea-Men's)

linksys makes that stuff too.

That would be pretty unstable for lots of people. My DSL does out mabey once a month for a few min. I have power surges, brownouts, and outages every few days. my UPS's make my power bearable, but how could you keep your connection up? I don't think power lines are anywhere stable enough for data transmistion. Besides, I don't want Aquilla (my electric company) trying anything new, they don't seem to know their current buisness!

The more providers, the better the competition :)

They were considering this for my area, if I recall correctly.

I deffinately think there needs to be more compitition in the broadband bus. Wireless (cell) providers are still a year or two away from providing true broadband speeds. I just want my internet bill to go down, and the more players in the game, the less i pay :)

I first read about this two or three years ago. Anyways, I believe they were talking about the ability to transmit well into the gigabit range and eventually the terabit range using power lines.

I think it will be quite some time before they get that high, but I'm hopefull none the less. :)

Heh, I was gonna ask if anyone knew about this service, but seen this post already here.. The broadband through powerlines would rock! Bellsouths dsl solution (( well not really,)) can't come out here due to distance.. And the cable company which owns the rights for my town, won't come into my neighbor hood... /sigh, such tease's

I'll be tickled pink if they'd bring me something faster than 64k/b(bits).. I wanna play fps games online dagnabbit!

Back