• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

w00t! Finally got my lan setup like I wanted!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDXNC

Its been about 6 months in setting up and trying this and that but I have finally connect my house to my parents house accross the road into one big lan! Its was also an excuse to lean a buch of networking stuff. Quite fun I admit... even the running back and fourth to get things configured right. The houses arw about 300ft apart and seperated by a gravel road(ya... I live way out in the boonies! :p)

Also what complicated things was the fact that both houses use a 56k internet connection. So now that I am fairly confident on what I am doing, if anyone else has any plans like this just let me know, be glad to help you out.

I will let the following diagram do the hard work of explaining the lan setup:

lanconfig.jpg

PS... enjoy my l33t paint skillz ;)

BTW... just to add.... the connection between the house is not fast but more than enough to play lan games and share the odd file here and there and also the main reason..... TO use VNC to FIX PROBLEMS MY parents have without having to run up there everyother hour!! So for what I need, it plenty fast enough.

Congrats.

What OS's have you got running? I've been having a nightmare trying to configure a simple(?) 2-pc network w/ win 98 on a 56k dial-a-suk. I've given up for the short term, but any advice you can give will be appreciated. Oh, and also, I'm assuming you have some sort of firewall in place (hardware or software?)

yes same thing i wanted to ask like above...u are showing the IP address's of ur network, so if someone was going to hack into ur computer u have given them the key to ur network :p

Excelsior said:
yes same thing i wanted to ask like above...u are showing the IP address's of ur network, so if someone was going to hack into ur computer u have given them the key to ur network :p

Not a big deal, those are just the internal IP's and not the IP's from either ISP, which changes everytime they reconnect.

IZON, I am running XP on 4 rigs, and 2k3 server on the "server/HTPC, its the evaluation version u just pay shipping for, but I'm hoping its not too pricey cause I want to buy it before my trial runs out.

The 2 computers with the 56k modems are simply using XP's built in firewall, both are on a second phone line so they pretty much stay connected 24/7 and I have never had a problem.

Kinerry said:
ok you have sepparate phone lines right?

btw...I'm not sure that's even legal

Whats not legal about it, its 2 seperate ISP's on 2 different lines at 2 different houses.... where is the problem?

If you are questioning the homePNA link... its not even on a telco phone line, its a simple 2 wire phone cable layed between the 2 houses.... not conected to the phone grid in any way.

Hmmmm... Here's a question someone might be able to help me on...... I noticed I could add more than one gateway in the TCP/IP settings.... I am able to use either gateway on any computer to acess the net but I'm wondering if its poddible to use 2 gateways and possibly double my connection speed?

The "multiple gateways" is for multi-homed PC's (PCs that are connected to more than one network by two network cards. It allows them to have a default gateway for both networks.

If you want to upgrade the 1Mbit link, you could go wireless, 11Mbits. Interesting network though.

The 1 Mbit line will do fine for now.... all the lan games I have work perfect on it.... I get a 9ms ping to my brothers rig in CS... pretty decent, we had 4 rigs playing with a dedicated server running on "server" pc and there was no lag at all.... SWEET!

I did play with adding a second gateway and it DOES seem to work.... normally on Imesh I maxed out at about 4-4.5k/s with 2 gateways set managed to keep 9-10k/s throughout an entire file... and web browsing seems to be much peppier... its not like broadband, but it does seem faster. I will keep testing and tinkering to learn more about it.

I live on a farm and we have a 4" PVC pipe running under the road to pass water lines and whatnot through for the cattle, so I just ran it through there.

what cable are you using between the houses? is it just a cat 5? is it connected to a NIC either end, Just interested about carrying this out between a friend, we have been considering using wireless...

Back