• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wont shut down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akajimmy

Registered
When I click on shutdown, it looks like it will shutdown, but it restarts. When I use the Power button, it will shutdown. I made sure everything was connected right. And then checked it again, now my led works, it did not work before. I have XP SP1. Asus A7N8X (nondeluxe) 2100T-bred b. OC to 166fsb. I tried easing back on the OC. I even did a clean install. Anyone have any ideas?

NO BUT IF YOU EVER FIGURE IT OUT LET ME KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON, HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM FOR TWO MONTHS NOW. ONLY GOOD THING IS I DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE COMNPUTER GOING OFF.

you can make a shortcut to shutdown.exe and do it by force
works for me

here's what my restart looks like

C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\shutdown.exe -f -r -t 5

i never use shutdown so dont have a shortcut for that

more help here
link

koosh

i remember there was a virus goin around about a year ago that made it so you cant shut down first do a virus scan and see if anything comes up here is a free online scan that will probably work http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ .........and if that doesnt get it there is a registry hack to make your computer not shut down i think it is something like HkEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
after you are in that look for a string that says NoClose and has a value of 1 and if it is in there just delete it and if not sorry i am no help to you :)

Back