• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats wrong with my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genjix

ok heres the problem, I just built a computer and when I turn it on, all the fans and stuff go on, but no video or no beep. I know for a fact the RAM and video card work because I tested it on my other computer. I thought it was the CPU so I returned it and now it still has the same problem with a new cpu. Mobo? its a gygabyte mobo and athlon 1800xp. By the way, the symptoms are the same as if you put in the power connector in a p4 board but forget to put in that smaller 4 prong thing that p4 boards usually have. the mobo light and onboard fan go on. please, some insight.

cleared Cmos yes. i guess ill just RMA this thing if nothing can be done. I was hoping i forgot something very ovbious.

Well, first make sure that the connections for your cases's LEDs are in the right place. Second, make sure that both the CD-ROM and harddrive are in their proper IDE channels. Thirdly, make sure that the MoBo spacers are in the right holes, and that none of them are making contact with the back of the MoBo's PCB. Fourthly, if you are running a CPU fan, try to ensure that it's running off a Molex connector. Big Fans + MoBo connection = weird things.

Also, was there any funky smell coming from your computer when you booted up? Something may have flash-fried.

:EDIT:

Have you tried using a differant power supply yet?

I once gad a problem like this. The mobo came with the clear cmos jumper on the "clear" setting...would not boot. Be sure it is on right.

did you happen to stab the mobo with anything? i did that to mine 2x and that did the trick, just exchange it for a new mobo

could be a PSU problem, if you can, take the PSU from the rig you tested the ram and vid on, and try to boot with just the ram and the vid and the CPU, if it posts thats your problem, if it doesnt post its your mobo. Thats all i got.

Back