• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Motherboard or CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ptwearnhardtfan

I built 2 identical computers for a couple buddies. 1 worked great, but the second rig shut off after about ten seconds when going through the initial POST. After that it would just shut itself off after about 2 seconds any time I tried to start it up. I started disconnecting all the various items, and then fire it up. It stays on after I pull the cpu, so I figure the processor is fried. I pull the processor out of the "working" rig and put it in the second one. Guess what happens, the same thing, shuts itself off after a couple seconds. I then put the "cooked" cpu in the first rig to make sure that it's the cpu that's fried. Sure enough, it won't boot up. I put the processor back in the "working" rig and try to boot up, and now this computer shuts itself off after a couple seconds. Apparently, the Mobo of the second rig also cooked the processor of the first one imho. Do I have a bad mobo that's frying chips, or a bad cpu that's frying mobo's? Does this sound confusing? It sure does to me.

MSI K7N2-L mobo
Kingston 512 PC2700
Athlon 2400+
MSI TI 4200

I would say that it's the MOBO frying CPU's, I've never heard of it being the other way around, while it might not be impossible that the CPU fries MOBO's, I really doubt it.

For me it has always been the MOBO that was bad (My current TUSL2-C killed a SB PCI128 and took my amp with it (at least the input is fried:mad: ) I've got problems installing my capture card and when I connect the digital out on my DVD to my DMX XFire it hangs in Win ME after a few minutes (XP and W2K seem to run fine) and I had an Asus P5A/B orso (SS7) that made the CPU run way too hot, When I took it back to the store they had to use a screwdriver to get the HS off, as I used the thermal pad that came with the HS....I always use the stock crap to see if anything is wrong, when something goes wrong I don't play with it, I take it back immediately as that might save me some time and money).

Back