• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird power supply needed for archaic mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damian

I happened to find a Tyan Tempest II (S1462) dual Socket 5 mobo at a scrap heap, and I'm curious as to whether or not it works. I noticed, though, that it has two power connectors that look exactly like normal AT connectors... one's marked "3.3V" and the other's marked "+5V". What do I do with those? Do I connect one AT PSU to each, or only to one, or use a different PSU, or what?

Oh, and can I run it with two different processors (like for example a P75 and underclocked P120) or do both need to be exactly the same? What about a Pentium and a K5 together?

the only socket five i have is a dx/2 66mhz, i think that all the pentiums were socket 7, but if infact you did have socket five chips then yes you could use them as back in the day they were totally configured on the board, you would just have to set them up as 75s... wow, googled for it and i guess there are socket five pentiums, and the site i looked at said that it was a baby at board so i would guess at the at ps. and it supports 512mb of edo ram, thats pretty hefty for an old board, musta been a server. and it was listed as having zero compatability with k5s on another site that came up googling for "s1462 tyan". never had an at board but i think they have two connectors and i remember reading somewhere that they were easy to reverse fry the board. good luck with it all

Yeah, it's a nice board. It even has EISA... must've cost a lot back in its time.

I have two P100s and two AT power supplies. This is extremely stupid, but oh well... let's see if it fries or not.

Fried it... swift. I have to admit, though, it was cool to see the smoke rising from that large transistor thing.

Last edited:
Argh, but I'm still curious... what kind of PSU is needed that has 3.3v and 5v AT-style connectors?

From what I can tell, that board is meant to be powered using one of the connectors or the other, but not both at the same time. Apparently if using a 5v power supply, you don't use the 3v connectors and put a jumper on j29. Never heard of a 3v AT PSU myself though.

Here's at least the jumper settings and pinouts for the board: http://www.tyan.com/support/html/j_tempest.html

Damian said:
Maybe I should start researching things before I do them.
LMAO!!!

Thats good, I like that, kinda sound like me!

Hey, at least it didnt cost yea anything. Trust me, Ive turned this into a very expensive habit recently.... :rolleyes:

I wish I had found this forum a few days ago and I could have helped you.

Im guessing you all didnt play with comptuers very much 8-9 years ago.

That used to be the standard power connector for the mobo, the 3.3 and 5 on 2 seperate connectors both coming from ONE power supply.

I still have my dual 233 P5 sitting right here with a spare 200 watt server power supply I would have sent you.

but anyways just to answer your question that was the old standard. Its nothing special just old.

cheers

With the two AT plugs, the back wires go on the inside, so the black wires of one are next to the black wires of the other.

Otherwise - fried mobo/cpu/ram

Back