• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

using cisco LEAP on a non cisco card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nealric

Is it possible to use the proprietary cisco LEAP protocol on any non cisco cards?

I just found out that the college I will be attending in the fall requires the use of LEAP on their wireless lan. This is a problem for two reasons:

1. I already own a wirelss card and the cisco cards cost at least $100. Exorbitant.

2. I want to use the wlan on my pda. Cicso does not (as far as I know) make a cf version of its aironet cards.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Help from third-party vendors
Given the relatively slow pace of Microsoft's expansion of support for 802.1x and PEAP within its various operating systems, a number of third-party vendors have emerged to bridge existing gaps on the client and server sides. Funk Software, currently the most well known vendor in the market, has proposed the EAP-TTLS protocol but also supports Cisco's LEAP, allowing customers to support LEAP on non-Cisco adapters. Meetinghouse has also conducted substantial work in its adoption of various implementations of PEAP while also supporting LEAP and EAP-TTLS. Client-side list pricing ranges from $40 to $50, with substantial discounts (50%+) for bulk purchases. By 2004/05, viability of the client-side market will decrease, due to Microsoft's push for deployment of Windows XP and backward support for 802.1x into Windows 2000. However, these vendors will maintain a strong focus on improving ease of management and control of RADIUS-based authentication from a server-specific approach.
Original Article
Funk Software

I havn't tried it personally or anything, this is what google gave me.

Back