• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

who builds PCs for extra $$$?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sir Barton

do you guys build PCs for extra cash? i know it might seem like a dumb question, but it had to be asked :) i dont charge friends, but a friend of a friend or co-workers are prime beef. how about you guys?

I use the fact that I saved my parents a decent amount of money by building my sister's compture to get them to help me buy my paintball gun. So....kinda..

Heck yeah! :p Just put one together, to finance a new nF2 mobo and some PC3200 for it (already got a 2100"B"...:) ).

I just hope I can sell it before they start building nF3 boards...:rolleyes:

I've built and repaired computers for a couple friends and some family. I never ask for a set price, cause I know they'll give me something (think tipping).

I'm thinking of putting up some flyers around to offer my services though, after seeing some ones some other people put up, charging outrageous prices for simple things (install ram- $40!)

the only problem with charging people is that when they pay there is an implied sense of tech support. i dont like that. people that want comps built for them have this amazing tendancy to do aweful things with the software and then blame the hardware i put together. now its just for close friends and family, and we just sort of trade favors so it all works out

Supertrucker said:
the only problem with charging people is that when they pay there is an implied sense of tech support. i dont like that. people that want comps built for them have this amazing tendancy to do aweful things with the software and then blame the hardware i put together. now its just for close friends and family, and we just sort of trade favors so it all works out

I hate moochers (SP?) :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

well i don't mooch...hmm...mmhh..or do i? I have built two computers for my dad and one for my sister and one for myself. I have upgraded many of my friends "systems" over my lifetime. I did mention the fact that i did save them money and i did mention that they got a much better deal with the mobo and video card combination with me rather than the "ready made systems" from the unamed retailer. but in all situations i never asked for money straight up, i just agreed or accepted when i was given. So in the future i will continue to be subtle, i will not ask my family or close friends for cash or awards...i will just accept what is given.

is that okay FattyMcNastyXK? ;)

I do all sorts of tech support junk. I have built several computers(my fee for them is $100 which is reasonable, all have been people I know very well). If I do tech support stuff, I charge $20 an hour if I have to show up, if I can help them over the phone, then I will do so for free. In fact, just this friday I went and installed some RAM in a computer, took an hour(had to show up, find out what RAM it used, go to Staples, buy the stuff, then go back to install it, not that slow ;) ) and got $25(he gave me $5 extra for the gas, nice fellow).

Its a reasonable rate, I show up within a couple of days, go to them, get it done, and charge much less than CompUSA or BestBuy would and they get it back a lot faster.

I don't charge, but sometimes I will get them to buy my used equipment. If I want to upgrade a 40gig drive, or a TNT2, or GF2 or something.

If I know the need a bigger drive. or faster card I don't bring it up. But most people that have those needs, already know how to build a computer.

ive had bad experiences being tech support, and to top it all off, my dad is always asking me to help out his friends for free pretty much. i told them to show me the money, made some money, but some of the others are probably off getting gang raped by some $50/hr chain store.

It has been mentioned above. Charging people means there is an implied tech support service. Any computers I help build, I make it clear that each part has its own tech support or warranty through that company. NOT THROUGH ME. But I'm usually not that straight forward.

I made a mistake of accepting $20 from a friends mom when I built them a cheap little internet computer. "We cant network the computer YOU built, can you help us".

me and my friend are starting this up... before i just did it for friends for like 20 bucks on top of the parts but this one we are gonan make a lot for 1 PC when it gets going (assuming it does :/)

I dont charge people I know they usally take me out to dinner or something like that. but what i do hate is when i put something together then some other dude that thinks he is the **** of computers starts to add all this stupid hardware or software to it then Fs it all up and he doesnt know how to get it to work again I always have to go back and fix it. I told my friends from now on if they are goign to let some idiot touch the PC i build i will not support it no more. Im not charging for fixing it so i dont want to fix itanymore then i have to. what i put together will last many years if u dont let other idiots do stuff like put generic mismatch ram into it and now uu get alot of BSODs, or plug the PSU wires into the MB where they dont go, or mess with my wireless configuration so now the wireless network wont work, or add a HD without properly selecting master and slave, i hate stuff like that cuzz the fool obviously dont know what he is doing. if u want something just ask me and not somebody who cant tell a modem card from a VC.
one of the funniest things ive heard from computer know it all is "I reformat and install OS once a month on my computer"
um thats maybe becuzz u dont have the slightiest clue to how to fix what u messed up.

AZN

AZN said:

one of the funniest things ive heard from computer know it all is "I reformat and install OS once a month on my computer"
um thats maybe becuzz u dont have the slightiest clue to how to fix what u messed up.

AZN

lol i hate reinstalling so i only do so when i cant fix something and system restore point wont do it or when i do somthing stupid ro a HDD dies

I have to do the tech suport anyways so I started charging and selling. Mostly just sell my older units to get the bucks to build new ones, love how they're willing to pay somebody else big bucks but only want to give me half price though!

Back