• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speaker help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MVPillman

Registered
Don't know where this belongs, since it's not about sound CARDS... but here's my question:

I have 4 satellite speakers and 1 sub (all by "Amadeus")... They are connected to my sound card. I wanted to get them to work with my TV, so what I did was get a Y-connector (I think this is what they are called), and connected RCA cables from my VCR to the Y-connector, and then put that in my sound card. I can only get the front speakers to work like this.

Is there any way to get front and rear speakers to work like this, so I can use them with my TV,VCR,DVD player, and gaming consoles?

I don't want to buy another 4 speakers and sub JUST for my DVD player, TV, etc...

Thanks!

You may have to go into the software that either came with the speakers or the sound card and select multispeakers or if that doesnt work, then maybe your sound card cant decode the sound from your vcr into 5.1 audio.

I connect the left and right RCA connectors (red and white) into the Y-connector, and then that into the Line-Out for the sound card. Only the front speakers manage to work, but at least something works, so it's not the sound card or settings or anything. I just wanna know if there is any way to get the rear speakers to work too?

Unless there's still soemthing wrong with settings? I select "4 Speakers" in my Creative Mixer Panel thing (I have Sound Blaster Live MP3+)..

thanks!

There are 2 ways to get your situation to work.
1. You could get a cable splitter so you hook the speakers into one end. For the other 2 they would both go to the VCRs audio out, and the other to the computers audio out.
The only problem with this would be that the VCR has its sound goin from left and right. Computer multimedia goes by Rear and Front.

2. You could do what your already doin and unplug one of the plugs on your sub. I think this will work. For your connection to the pc you have how many connections? If you have 2 connections all you need to do is unplug the black connector on your sub.

Problem with this is that your 4 speakers for computer use will only be the forward channels.

You are only forwarding stereo sound from your VCR. Your VCR can't do any better. Your DVD on the other hand can make use of your speakers. Use a digital RCA (labeled coaxial but it's and RCA jack), or fiber audio connection to your comp. This is assumeing your sound card has one of these inputs. If not, your never going to get anything but stereo.

BTW - most people do the oppisite. get a good Surround sound amp and speakers for your home theater setup, then output your comp to AMP. Any game sounds good with 500watts behind it!

I agree with gothstone. The movies are what you want great sound for, but the games can greatly benefit from this. If you do get new speakers, make sure those will work with you current sound card as well as your dvd player, or that you can somehow hook your computer up to them.

Back