• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Query to anyone with a Volcano 9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrKillington

Ahhh...ha.... heh... well, I've got some more questions. One more, actually. I got my volcano 9 installed, and although it caused the CPU to misseat by about 1/100th of an inch, it's working fine. Mostly. The fan runs fine, but it doesn't report its RPM to the mobo, even tho I've double checked all the connections... anyone else had this problem? Bear in mind that I'm using the temp sensor...

Temp sensor. manual or jumper - no difference.

The RPM is the yellow wire in the group of three, the other two being red and black - this should not be connected to your mobo.

Connect your fan to the 4 pin molex cable supplied and only connect the single yellow wire from that to your mobo.

The mobo header you use will need to have RPM monitoring. On my board it's 1 and 2 only, the others don't.

Also, make sure you NEVER try to unplug any connections by pulling on the cable. You have to pull on the plug itself. I made this mistake once with the manual rheo on the volcano 9, so I had to solder it directly onto the fan. Not a big problem for me since I lilke to use the rheo instead of any other option.

So I guess what I'm saying is....check your cables...
You may have pulled one too hard and ripped the connection off and the only thing holding it together is the plastic wrapped around the wires.

Robin Hood said:

The mobo header you use will need to have RPM monitoring. On my board it's 1 and 2 only, the others don't.

Yes, on my board it is CPU, and you need to activate an option in the bios to get rpm monitering on FAN 1. make sure that it is plugged in to the one closest to your cpu.

It's plugged into the right slot, but I didn't realize that the bios could disable that slot... I'll have to check that. Also the cables =)
I am using the molex btw, although it actually works without it... but I'm not gonna push it.

Back