• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just don't get it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
So I got a new case today, and I thought it would be a big improvement. Has 1 exause fan, and two low from intake fans. I upgraded my HSF to a Volcano 9. I applied the thermal compound it came with, and acutally followed AS3 directions by taping off the bottom of the heatsink, applying Thermal compound and then using a credit card to make a nice thin layer. Then remove the tape to have a nice even square. So i got done with all of this and transplanting the components. My temps are horrible.

idle 57 (with side on)
case 37

Load 67 (side on)
case 41

Idle 50 (side off)
case 25

Load 56 (side off)
case 26

I just don't get it. I was getting better temps with my 5 dollar HSF. What could be wrong? When the side is on the air comming out of the exaust is hot, maybe hotter than normal. If i take the side off, and touch the heatsink it is very warm. Right now as I am typing this though, it says my temp os 50 degrees, (side off, fan blowing on it) and the HSF feels very cool.

I just don't know what else to do. Volcano is a good HSF, am i right? I just think i should be getting better temps.

A few things

Could be an ON die temp reading? (what kind of CPU you have?)

The heatsink not firm on the chip or tilted to side or some obstruction...

Possibility that the fan on your HS is to weak.

Does your power supply blow exhaust?

If so the exhaust could be overpowering the intakes making your case a vaccum... its better to have positive pressure and if thats the case id take the exhaust fan and flip it around making it an intake and try that

That large of a difference between having the side pannel on and off tells you that you need better airflow inside of your case. Your temps are still high, though, with the pannel off. I'd try remounting your Volcano 9 before anything else.

V9 is not as good as TT and others (CompUSA etc) would have you believe. The V7+ out performs it.
Also, if you will notice on the aluminum shroud that the fan connects too, there is only a small part of it that allows air to escape the heatsink. On the V7+ the shroud allows air out from top to bottom and is all copper not half and half.

At anyrate, check to see what direction the air is being forced out of the heatsink in. If it is up and down, then your side fan will help heat the case since it is blowing the hot air around off your heatsink, if it goes left to right then you need to rethink your case air flow and cable routing. :D

Personally? I would dump the V9 and get a V7 or 11 or SLK version.

Hope that helps.

ashenfang said:
acutally followed AS3 directions by taping off the bottom of the heatsink, applying Thermal compound and then using a credit card to make a nice thin layer. Then remove the tape to have a nice even square.

i've never seen instructions like that from arctic silver.
got a link?

i'm willing to bet that is the cause of your temp problem.

Re: Re: I just don't get it

looktall said:

i've never seen instructions like that from arctic silver.
got a link?

i'm willing to bet that is the cause of your temp problem.

humm... im not...

i just dotn see anything wrong with that though... It seems like the same thing as just rubbing on some as3 without the tape...

well, I think what i am getting at is the fact that this HSF combo should give me better temps than my old one. Also, I try reseating the HSF, I don't have anymore of the compound it came with, but i do have some radio shack thermal compound (white) i could use. Just use alcohol and clean cotton rag to clean the die and HSF? How much exactly should i put on? Apply it to the die instead? Like a dot? THanks for the help.

Dont put too much... just maybe a tiny dab on the die...just enough to make it a translucent haze kind of and then put a tiny dab actually on the HS.. rub the dab around on heatsink and then seat it on the die.

Yes the radioshack should be okay (its been shown in tests theres a negligable difference between thermal compounds) and yes all u have to do is use some alchohol to get everything around there clean

-Excelsior

make sure its FULLY flat to the cpu core. of its over towards one ide of the cpu socket, it could be resting on the raised part and not making proper contact with the core. Also make sure its the right way round. make usre you matched the cutout in the H/S base with the raised part of the cpu socket.

also yes, those case temps are bad. that really doesnt help. try different combinations of the fans and see if you can improve the case temps.

You could try having a fan chucked or hanging in the middle of the case somehow. Im having a 92mm .26amps (not sure of cfm) in between a HDD and cdrom directing front intake air towards the back of the exhaust, past the gfx card and hot air from my V7+.
I usually have all but one case fans off while surfing the net, but when I prepare for some gaming and the insides of the case is hot I turn all of them on and it gets cool in no time, exhaust air is HOT.(5 mins at most). ;)
You should try lapping as well. My V7+ had a fine finishing on stock but upon lapping it turns out that only about 75% of the die contact area got scratched with 400grid sandpaper. Now its close to chinese copper mirror finish and I got much better temps. :D

OT: Been a while since I posted in here miller. ;)

hmmm, i think i may try lapping. New to the technique though. I think i am going to try and clean the HS and die with alcohol apply alot less thermal grease and reseat and see what happens. A buddy of mine says i could try artic silver, but says that this will only produce a 2-4 degree drop, if i am getting these high temps now, then something isn't seated right.

Back