• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If i get my RAID set up working will i need to reformat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You mean, if i setup a RAID array with Hard disks do i lose all the data that was already on the disks?

Yes.

:cry:

yeah okay well thanks for answering...

well im going to go cry for a good half hour right now...:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: hopefully ill drown in a pool of my own tears...

but seriously... damn.. humm well looks like im going to spend about oh id say a good 2 hours backing up 30 or so gb of precious information... oh well

If you borrow someone else's Hard disk for a bit it shouldn't take longer than about an hour, from start of copying to finished RAID array.

1/ Copy all data from HD #1 to HD #3 (HD #3 is backup) - 20-30 minutes if all on different channels.

2/ Shut down rig, connect HD #1 and HD #2 to Raid card/slots. - 2 minutes.

3/ Setup and format RAID - 5-15 minutes.

4/ Restart, copy all data from HD #3 to RAID - 15-25 minutes.

5/ Profit ;)

If you can scab someone's hard disk it won't take long.

Last edited:
xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx said:
yeah okay well thanks for answering...

well im going to go cry for a good half hour right now...:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: hopefully ill drown in a pool of my own tears...

but seriously... damn.. humm well looks like im going to spend about oh id say a good 2 hours backing up 30 or so gb of precious information... oh well

30gb? try backing up 120gb:eek:

ha ha ha , wait til your array fails, and you try to tweak, and it fails again. i tweak a lot, but i'm no pro, and i have reinstalled windows over a dozen times in the past 2 months.

if you are worried about reinstalling windows, ....just be sure you know raid well enough.

;) :D

i was using a 40 gig as a backup, and for some reason, i had some files on different areas, which were duplicates...lots of them. i was able to save all my pics on 2 cd's, and the rest on 5 more. all the rest after that was not important to me..... so, it wasn't too bad for me, when i went raid.:)

i

HAD a scsi system a while back.. bout a year ago.. sigh... man was that pretty... never set up RAID For my main rig before and i havent had ::Too:: much expereience in it... ive brushed up quite a bit in last month and im 99 percent sure i will ruin everything in some catostrophic event requiring me to rma both drives back to WD... whops i meant 99 percent sure i can set it up without a problem.... freudian slip...

jsut forget about those dataz. I always lose my dataz. one time, I lost around 50 Movies (all divx good quality) and more than 60 Games (got them from IRC)...hahaha....

Back