• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shutsdown, won't start!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FDUSMC

The past week I've been having problems with my PC. While the computer is up and running I have no problems unless its idle for a while then it shuts down. When I turn it back on, it posts the intro screen where it does the cpu check and memory count but then goes blank after. I have to shut it off and on for a while for it to finally go to windows. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes sometimes 30 minutes. Like I said earlier, as long as I'm using it, it works fine. I went 4 hours today no problem.

try checking your power options?
both on your OS and BIOS...
make sure you the HDD shutdown option is disable...
not totally sure thats the problem but you can try...

if that doesnt help it could be your PSU...
goodluck...

Nothing was changed in bios so I know it's not that. I doubt it's the PSU because like I said I could use it for hours without shutting down. It's only when its idle that it shut's down on it's own.

Did you look at the power options in your control panel? I don't know if there would be anything useful there, but its worth a look.

I doubt that's it. No setting were ever changed prior to this problem. I'm almost positive it's a hardware problem but unfortunately I don't have extra parts to test.

This is a temporary fix to be sure, but have you thought of folding? That way, your computer is never idle and hopefully you can avoid this problem. I know, it really isn't a fix, but it will work while you try other things I bet.

Back