• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm to 60mm adaptor, bad or good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vulcan5d

Registered
I hear that these 80mm to 60mm adaptors are bad, but no one says what they were using before.

I want to replace my stock AthlondXP 60mmX10mm fan (4300rpm) with a 80mmX25mm fan (3000rpm). I would think the temperature would decrease considering your got more airflow flowing into a tighter space, meaning the air would flow faster. What do you guys think?

all the tests show that these things really don't work too well. There's a lot of hoopla about static pressure and dead air, but the bottom line is temps don't usually go down. These tests never used a stock heatsink, tho, so who can say what would happen? I bet it would be a little bit better than that weenie stock fan.

But, 80mm fans are usually quieter than 60s of the same CFM, and that's a pretty good reason to get one right there. It's worth doing it for that alone.

The Squirrel's advice is probably the best tho- just get a better heatsink if you're worried about temps.

I remember seeing these fan adaptors with the built in fins
ada2.jpg

According to there review the bigger fan cooled the CPU better then a 60 delta. I doubt it but its said see it here

I would think that the fan made for the heatsink would cool most effieciently. If you want a bigger fan, you should probably just get a different heatsink.

I have a couple of these I tried for a while. The 80 is quieter than the 60 till you put it on the adapter. The adaptor restricts airflow, which causes noise. My temps went up a couple degrees with a higher CFM fan too. I still use one, but only so my wifes computer can have a pretty tri-LED fan on her cpu.

If you're using the stock AMD heatsink, you'd do much better to just buy a nice beefy heatsink that is made for an 80mm fan.

I was gonna come in here and talk some jive about static pressure, but Monaco beat me to the punch.

Bottom line - I've never used one. Everyone I've discussed it with that has tried it says temps go up.

Back