• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this true

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drak55

is this true XP2200 "b" core?????

I was looking around ebay because I'm about to sell my XP220. I came across a guy selling an XP2200 this saying its a "B" core and that it overclocks better here is what he had to say let me know if there is any truth to this???

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ OEM processor in the Thoroughbred B core version (not the older Thoroughbred A version). For further information click the following link: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_1274_3734^3736,00.html

The newer "Thoroughbred B core" (or Revision B core) version would be OF INTEREST TO OVERCLOCKERS: Stepping code for this processor is AIUGB. What is so special about theThoroughbred B?

In a nutshell, Thoroughbred Revision B processors run cooler and are higher-clocking. The "B" core is slightly larger (84 mm^2 vs. 80 mm^2 for Thoroughbred As) due to a new layout designed to improve scalability. There are also 0.4 million (400,000) additional transistors added to reduce EMI (Electro-Magnetic Interference, etc), as well as a 9th layer of silicon (also referred to as "metal layers") was added to the processor, up from 8 in the Thoroughbred A core. These two significant changes should help the Thorougbred quickly scale up to higher clock speeds.

These babies are very overclockable (at your own risk— don't overdo it).

Sounds like an older stepping. Most older stepping higher rated (i.e., 2200+, 2400+, etc) don't oc any better than the newer, cheaper 1700+s and 2100+s.

yeah 2200 is a t-bred but not as overclockable as the newer cheaper XP1700+ , XP2100+

Back