• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is there any mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shaded

Registered
after checking a few of those mentioned in that
and reading a few posts about the MSI master -L and the asus
i wonder if there is any board able to get oced to a 200/400 mhz FSB and supporting a good agp or r u then already getting extreme problems with the pci hardware (read something about the ide's meesed up)?
and unluckily there is no duallie working together with the higher xp's, no (like the 2700+ coming along with a 166mhz fsb standard)?
Thanx in advance

LOL, if there is such a mobo every one will rush buying it.
So the answer is NO, there isnt maybe inn DREAMLAND but not on earth :p

The reason is that only chipset available for AMD dual are MP(AMD760) and MPX (AMD762) (supports only 266mhz )
MameXP,

AMD dual chipsets only support up to a 1/4th PCI divider, so if your FSB is at 133, then your PCI speed is 33. IDE hard drives are generally ok up to about 37.5-40 MHz. This corresponds to 150-160 FSB on an AMD dually. Only two AMD dual boards allow FSB past 150. The Asus goes up to 180 (I think) and the Iwill MPX2 goes up to 220 (I think.) The Asus isn't very good about running high FSB's, though, and very few people can get it up to 150, even. A few people have gotten the Iwill MPX2 up to about 170-180, but they were running SCSI hard drives (less susceptible to corruption from high PCI speed) and VERY select PCI and video cards. Most modern video cards can only work up to about 155-160 FSB, so all that headroom on the MPX2 is VERY hard to actually use.

thanx u two

so allright this sounds already better 170 -220 mhz fsb.
but seems problematic getting them stable or? i mean 200mhz fsb then would b 50 MHZ PCI this possibly would mean if any components keep running all of them would need little heatsinks right?

is it possibly so difficult to drive these videocards, because u r not able to setup their core voltage by hardware (and giving them some watercooling)?

so the bottleneck of the slow bus keeps being.
u think i duallie still is worth the effort?
sorry but till now haven't made my choice... (still doing my homework :) )
all i know is that the amd's cpu's seem much more sympathic 2 me, just because they r unlocked and seem to have bigger headroom.
correct me if i am wrong

The Asus and IWill boards, while allowing for higher FSB speeds, also do not allow for multiplier adjustments. This is why the MSI K7D is a little more popular around here.

Little heatsinks or not, 200MHz FSB is going to be almost impossible on these boards. Even if you get components that can handle it, I doubt very seriously that the board's own chipset will be able to. Without the multiplier adjustments, it's going to make it even more difficult (would need to hardcode in a low multiplier or find some VERY good lower clocked Tbreds). I'm not telling you not to try, just be prepared for some level of disappointment.

Duals just aren't built with overclocking in mine in the same way that single boards are. They're always going to be behind in that area.

hmm well perhaps they don't have to run that fast because of they never come alone...
Thanx for the insights guys...

Typical overclocking results for an AMD duallie are 150 FSB. Only really, really dedicated people with very deep pockets are able to get them to run faster than that.

Still, a duallie at 150 FSB is a great machine.

Its possible to run some select PCI cards at 50mhz, there are pleanty of 66mhz compatible PCI cards, not sure how well they would handle an O/C 50mhz PCI bus. I'd assume the PCI controller for the 33 bus might start crapping out. Also remember too your AGP port will be running at 100mhz, and I don't know of any modern video card that will handle that speed. Though there again there are some 66mhz capible PCI video cards. I'd think you'd be stuck with a less then optimal machine trying to get 200mhz FSB. Besides the chipset would probably have problems at that speed too. But hey if you can do it all the power too you. Get some good ram, and some 66mhz compatible PCI cards and go for it!

If you use UDMA 100 hd's you will only be able to get to 150 fsb before data loss (I mean total), If you disable UDMA 100 and run the drives at UDMA 33 you should up to 180fsb or more on a MPX2. Using UDMA 133 drives solves this problem, the overclocked pci bus was putting the specs over UDMA 100.
8x AGP Nvidia cards are taking extreme AGP speeds, my 4x AGP winfast a250 GF4 4400 runs up to 180 fsp no problems.
I had to turn down the Hd speeds on older Pentium's (P 166's) to overclock the FSB from 66 to 83 or get a drive that was rated higher than the mainboard's ide controller, this was common practice as no overclocking could be done without increasing the PCI speed.

Back