• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good $125 Card...Suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shmuck

Hey all...looking to build a new sub-700 dollar system, not including monitor. Looking to spend about 125, no more, on a video card. Need to know whether i should get a better AGP4x or a cheaper AGP8x card. Have been looking at a GeForce 4 MX480 AGP8x which is really inexpensive.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Thanks a bunch.
Tim

G4 MX would be a really bad choice.
You should be able to get a 128mb 8x Ti4200 for that price. This is about the only price range that getting an Nvidia would be best.

Dont touch the GF MX cards....ever! heh

I would reccomend a 8500/9100, or Ti4200. Or if you want, you can wait for the 9200's, and see where they stand on top of things

A Ti4200, or a 8500LE/9100 if you want to save a little money. Either will make you happy.

Ok, thanks for the feedback--I did have a 8500LE (lucky to get the 3.3 ns RAM) and it was nice, but i was hoping to get a BETTER card now.
ANybody know where i can get the Ti42000 128 MB 8x for a good price? And how does it measure up to a 8500 LE?
Thanks.

honestly I wouldnt pay more than 125$ for a 4200. And the 4200 is at most 15% faster than an 8500LE overclocked. honestly i dont think its worth the money to upgrade 125$ for 15% performance. If you want a siginificant increase spring 130$ for a 9500 non pro and try to softmod it. Otherwise wait until the 9600Pro or 9500Pro fall into your range.

Check on pricewatch.
Upgrading to a Ti4200 will probably tack on about 2000 3dmarks. a 9500 128mb will be more like 160$

You were thinking of going to a G4 MX480 as an upgrade from an 8500? Thats a big downgrade.

Check out the Newegg refurbs maybe you can snag a 9500 pro for around what your looking for.

Id suggest you look at ATI seriously... Nvidia doesnt have much to offer in your price range that the 8500 doesnt already compete with.

Save your coins and grab a 9500 Non-Pro.
Whether you can soft mod it or not, the card is still impressive and is more powerful than any of NVidia's current offerings.

Last edited:
whoa.

Yeah, I didn't think the MX480 was an upgrade per se, but i wanted to take advantage of 8x...ok, i have been looking into it, and unfortunately my 8500LE (back home and not accessible) is still around the price bracket i was looking for here.

Anybody know of a nForce2 board with IGP of a good price that sports 333FSB on the processor? I am going to hold off and save up for the new video card if i can get a GOOD mobo with integrated video. And no, the 8RDA+ doesn't have integrated video.

Also, any thoughts on the nForce2 IGP?
Not much said anywhere that i could find.
Thanks

hmmm...just stumbled on the 8RGA+...i'll bring it to the mobo forum though. if you've got a good price on one, let me know though.

to tell ya the truth.....as long as you NEVER! game igp is great:D....otherwise there are tons of issues with openGL and direct3d that you will incounter with the hundereds of varieties of ram....I would say you wouuld be better off with say a geforce2 gts pro or ti card..as those are very good cards and are really cheap and will definetly hold you over untill you spring for a 9500 - 9800 etc....:D

Yes, the Ti4200 will be a big improvement over the 8500...
I recently upgraded from an 8500 64mb to a Ti4200 128mb 8x, i wish i would have got a 9500 though.

Back