• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS2 on a HDTV???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xbiker321

Im sure this is in the wrong section so a admin can move it if it is needed because I dont know what section this would belong in.

Question 1.....We just got a New Hitachi 51'' Widescreen Ultravision HDTV Monitor from circuit city <- link. So anyway I hooked up my PS2 to it and it looks pretty crappy, normal cable television looks fine so what i think I should do is buy the Monster Cable Gamelink 400 Component Cable <-link.
Anyone here use the Monster Cable and if so how do you like it?

Also question 2....I want to watch DVD video's in full widescreen 16:9 format so there wont be any black bars. I change the Aspect Ratio on the television and it doesnt get full screen 16:9 mode, there are still black bars and the movie is "squished". I assume there is an option on the PS2 to view DVD movies for 16:9 mode. How can I watch a DVD movie ex. U-571, Back to the Future, ect. in a full screen 16:9 mode so there wont be any black bars visable?

Thanks
-xbiker321

EDIT: i know you guys think im rich but you are wrong. Before this the TV i used i got for free and we had to put a fan behind it to cool it so it wouldnt blow out. The TV before that must have been 20 years old. So you can see why i decided to buy a new TV so i just thought i would buy a future proof TV. :)

Your session with the circuitcity.com website either timed out or couldn't be retrieved.
translation: the links that you posted are broken ;)

I've got a 43 inch Hitachi HDTV. Works great.

I dont have a PS2, but my brother has an Xbox, we played Halo on it, along with my Pioneer surround sound system...mmmm....lotsa fun!

Anywho...point being...graphics looked fine for us.

First of all...what wires are you using to connect the PS2 to the TV? It does matter. I dunno what all options you have with the PS2, but if you're using a regular cable TV type connection, it is gonna look crappy. Will look a little better with the yellow RCA video plug. Even better using an S-video plug. Best with componant cables (the three different colored cables used for DVD players...I dunno if you can use these with the PS2, but I'd bet that your TV has several inputs like this). In my experience, the interface (ie - type of cable/plug) makes a MUCH bigger difference in picture quality than whether or not you use the fat expensive cables.

Or it may be just that you're sitting kinda close to the TV, and you have really good eyes :). I would suspect that your PS2 only displays one set resolution...and when that resolution is blown up 10 times bigger than you're used to seeing it, it looks slightly grainy.

Or I could be wrong.

As for question 2...You did try changing the aspect ratio on the TV? (there's a button on the remote that says "aspect"...at least, there is on mine). Oh, and where are you seeing the black bars? If the DVD is in "fullscreen" as some are, you'll probably get black bars on the sides (as yours is a widescreen TV) and not the top-bottom bars you're used to seeing with widescreen DVD's on a fullscreen TV.

If you boot your ps2 with no disc in it you have the choice of going into the browser to see your memory cards or into the setup of the PS2. There are aspect ratio options in there. You are going to have to mess with these in combination w/ the TV settings to find out what's right. On my friend's widescreen none of the combinations worked right and it always looks stretched ;( Goodluck!

I guess i will have to go to circuit city and ask a guy, or girl, what the deal is. How do i view a widescreen movie on a widescreen HDTV. I bet i will have to buy a new DVD player with tons of options/features.

Back