• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hardware encryption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shaded

Registered
some of u know a company offering an controller which allows hardware encryption? so before the HD's r accessable u first need a password.

My IBM Thinkpad i 1400 laptop has built in HD encryption. It fixes it so that even if someone rips out the HD, it still can't be read. It's a nice security feature and since it's done in hardware, it doesn't take much of any performance hit.

Off the top of my head, I don't know of a separate controller that does that, though.

These security measures can stop most people, but in reality nothing is safe. I wouldn't go to extreme measures trying to protect something unless it's top secret. Otherwise, if stuff is really that important someone will get to it. Of course, it's unlikely since a thief wouldn't put that much effort into it.

Back