• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cold Boot Hang With POST Code 5538?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dehinson

Registered
Hello All,

I just built my PC and thought I was careful about putting it all together. However, on a power-uo boot I get a mini-splash screen (motherboard is an Intel DE845PESVL) and (I believe) a POST code of 5538 in the lower right corner. I have to power the unit off from the back of the PC before it will boot up. Now when it does boot up the number in the lower right corner of the same mini-splash screen in 0078.

I thought I would pose this problem to the group before I called Intel (at $25.00 per incident). Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

first of all,
welcome to the forums!!!

now that that's out of the way...

sounds kinda strange...maybe someone else will have a better idea (I'm an AMD man myself). but here goes:

Are you getting any beeps? Usually you'll get "beep codes" when the board doesnt pass POST. They can usually point you straight to the problem.

Did you check the manual that came with the motherboard? RTFM! :D Yeah, I know...lots of people don't even glance at them. But I always read motherboard manuals VERY carefully...and usually learn something I didn't know. Check the manual, there may be a chart in it that tells you what the codes mean.

What sort of "splash screen" are you getting? Like, a picture that takes up the whole screen? Some motherboards have them...I hate them. There's almost always some way to disable them...again, check the motherboard manual. Disabling the splash screen will let you actually see the text flashing on the screen during post, which may give you a hint about what the problem is.

You could try searching intel's website.

And I can almost always find the answer to ANY question at this link :cool:

Well the mystery is solved. It seems that when I attached all of the pins of the front usb to the PCI card, I attached the 'extra' ground to what I thought is a ground but isn't. I just disconnected it and no more 5538.

I hope this helps anyone in the future. I just don't understand why you have pins to a device that don't go anywhere? Maybe some future function that my system isn't ready for. Oh well.

Thanks for the replies.

Back