• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Steve spend his money!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grv

OK, so I finally got my pinnacle studio rebate. Between that and my last expense check, that's $200. Like any self respecting folder, I thought hmm, how about all those parts I have in the basement?

$200 sounds like another 2400+ and some cheapo MB folding 24x7 for team32 to me:cool:

I'm thinking M7VIG, just from poking around mwave. Anyone have an opinion on this one, or a suggestion on another?

Thanks!

(BTW - the rig I build with the rebate check will be the only good part about my pinnacle purchase. If you ever considered this, don't bother!)

How about a 2100 TBredB OCed as high as possibly stable with PC2700 RAM (you should be able to at least hit 2275MHz) and a cheap mobo? But that would also require good cooling...hrm...we want to keep this under $200...well, with a 256MB module, everything would run you somewhere around $175 with the mobo, maybe just throw a V9 on there(another $20)...How about your PSU? Do you have an extra one to power the new rig?

Soy

yup - 400w antec just a waiting. I agree about the cooling. If I get to crazy with the OC, I'll end up ripping that HSF off there and building another w/c rig. I don't have the time, or the cash right now! I do like my tbred though.

Any cheap board ideas? I don't want to close the door to an OC'able board later, but that's how this all started last time... Just a little more and I can get "X", and if I have that, then why not get "Y"? It's truly a sickness. Intentionally putting together a lo-tech system is a big step for me:rolleyes:

Maybe it's my folding addiction trumping my gadget addiction.

I would get the cheap mobo and a med size pro oc'd to the highest you can, what are you going to use to put this into and how are you going to run it? do you have a Hard Drive or just off an old system?

I'm sure he's probably got a case lying around...if not, he can always get a cheap $10 one & mod the hell out of it. He can run off a 5GB HDD for it. Wait, I'm assuming that this rig is just for folding(running Win2k?) and nothing else...Is it?

Soy

Wait a second here. Steve spending more money = Steve passing me :D

Nah j/k good luck with the new rig.

While most of the "all-in-one" motherboards (with on-board video and on-board LAN) do not really support overclocking, you can build an overclocked computer using one of these boards. You just need to keep the following in mind when planning your purchases.

Most of these boards support up to a 2400+ or 2600+ Tbred CPU. This means that you can buy one of the cheaper Tbreds and change the multiplier via the bridges up to 15x or 16x. I recommend you get the 1700+ because all of the bridges are closed on this chip, and all you have to do to change the multiplier is open a couple of bridges using the battery technique.

You can then change the CPU voltage using the motherboard socket jumper technique, although mild overclocks may not require any voltage change at all (especially if you get one of the new 1700+ DLT3C chips).

Since most of these motherboards do not support a 1/5 PCI divider, this means that your max FSB speed is going to be around 150 MHz. Note that most of these motherboards do allow you to change the FSB speed. Therefore, I would recommend you get 256MB of some cheap PC2100 DDR memory.

If you use the stock AMD heatsink and fan, all you need to add to the above is a power supply and hard drive (unless you are going diskless), and a case if you want one.

You can get the "all-in-one" motherboards from the Newegg Refurb section for about $30, the retail 1700+ Tbred CPU for about $65, and 256MB PC2100 DDR memory for about $20. This brings the total to about $115, not including the power supply and hard drive.

Heck if you want to really upset OSUmaxx, save up another $30 and build 2 of these rigs for $230. You could probably power both of them from the 400 watt power supply you already have.

Back