• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will i notice a difference going from 450mhz to 1.3+ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nbx2

Registered
okay guys.. im wondering..

ive been out of the loop since like 1998 or so...

i wanna know how much of a difference my upgrade is gonna make..

current setup:
300a@450 on an old school bh6
192mb pc133
tnt2 ultra

i picked up a slotket and im about to pick up a 1.3 tualatin celeron.. if i can, its going to 1.6ghz or so..

im gonna buy some more ram.. most likely 768mb of pc 133 crucial from a friend for ~$50

how much of a difference is this gonna make when it comes to games and stuff? Is it going to be barely noticeable just because i only have a TNT2 or what? I dont know how much today's games rely on the cpu anymore.. been out of the loop too long.

anyone care to edjumicate me?

Yes, you'll notice a difference, hahaha.

I recently bought my stepfather a KT133 board with 133mhz SDRAM and an AthlonXP 1600+ to replace his P3-600.

He noticed a tremendous difference (and so did I.)

i figured everything else would run better.. but since most games rely heavily on bad *** video cards i figured i might not really notice a huge difference in that area..

you'll get some extra video performance but it won't be anything spectactular, that videocard will definatly be the bottleneck. see if you can find a GF3 TI200 or Radeon 8500LE for cheap, that would do pretty good :)

will i notice a difference going from 450mhz to 1.3+ ?

"Hey guys, I was wondering. Will I notice a difference if I sell my Honda and buy an Aston Martin?"

:p

That TNT2 is going to leave you hurting, unless you plan on playing stuff like UT and older games.

I upgraded recently from a Celeron 466 to my current system (a AMD XP 1800), and I was VERY impressed by the diffrence. Of course, it could all be atributed to other things (like descent parts, since the 466 was a HP :D), but I believe the CPU had a big diffrence in that factor.

JigPu

Defenatly notice.. I went from 300mhz amd k6/2 to an athlon 2000+ xp(1.6Ghz) You won't believe how fast the system simply boots up alone.

cool, thanks for the replies guys..

the riva was a $16 upgrade from an ati rage 3d pro.. which was a free upgrade from a rendition v2100 card.. which was on a p133 before i paid my friend $20 for this mb and cpu combo, which i built for him in 1998 :)

the game im really wanting to get into is cs just cause of the massive amounts of players that play it.. and im trying to get back into some rts games like red alert 2.. even though its old.. it used to be the **** back in the day with SC and what not..

You won't have to worry about running those games then. Your computer with the 1.6 ghz and TNT2 ultra will play CS and all the 2d RTS easily. I could play the demo of MoH:AA with a TNT card and it didn't look too bad.

OC Noob said:
Too bad you can't move to DDR ram and a cheap Radeon 8500le ($60 for a 230/460).

Aint that the truth! I upgraded my cpu first from a P2 350mhz to a T-Bird 1.4 and I thought "Whoa!!, now that's fast!" Then I upgraded to DDR from PC100 and I pretty much had the same reaction :D

okay maybe you guys would know a few more things..

i found a utility called riva tuner.. is it safe to OC this card at all without cooling?

id search but.. search is disabled..

Back