• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can quik connects be used on external w/c rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slowmo

I'd like to rig quick connects at my external radiator. That way I can just disconnect if I need to move my box without so much hassle. Can I do this without many problems? What sort of adaptors are needed?

I'm looking into this right now also, but I am coming into some great difficulties. First off is the price, most quick disconnects are really expensive, ~44$ a pair which is a tad high for this use. Second they are very restrictive so you would have to essentially get really big ones to minimize the restiction, which adds to cost and weight. Thirdly I you need some that have the "balls" on both sides of the connectors so that no water is leaking out, this leaves only hydraulic quick disconects, which I looked at but are very hard to take apart and really arent meant to be used with water. Well if anyone has found anything that may be used please let me know since I am still looking.

thanks, and hope this helps

Kevin

Thanks for the info. Hate to reinvent the wheel twice. LOL. I'm going to see what else I can find, and if I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Yessss. Perfect. Now I have to figure out how to configure with a T to bleed air. Should I go with .5 inch lines even if my radiator is 3/8? Anyone want to offer opinions on CPU, chipset and GR4 blocks, and pumps?

Last edited:
That link above is kinda misleading. The sizes mentioned are for the threads, not the tubing size. Also they don't have shut offs in them. If you disconnect them, you will lose coolant and get air in your loop. I agree 100% with Kevin, I've done some searching myself and reached the same conclusions: too expensive, too restrictive.
www.usplastic.com has a pretty good selection of them and here's whats said about the "Extra-Flow" ones:

Polypropylene Extra-Flow Coupling Bodies and Inserts by Colder
Extra flow couplings feature a high efficiency valve design that provides a greater flow capability than any other coupling its size on the market, for liquids, air and gases. Chemically resistant polypropylene material make it ideal for harsh environments. Applications: Filling lines, drain lines, chemical dispensing and peristaltic pump lines. 9/32” nominal flow. Color: Light Gray SPECIFICATIONS Working Pressure: to 105 psi; Vacuum to 28 in. Operating Temperature: 32° F. to 160° F Material: Coupling - Polypropylene Seal - EPDM Latch Spring - 302 Stainless Steel Valve Spring - 316 Stainless Steel. Flow Information: 1/4” Hose Barb: .18” flow 3/8” Hose Barb: .28” flow

If you notice the last line the 3/8"ID tubing will be reduced to almost 1/4"ID tubing! And keep in mind that they are bragging about these being the hi flow ones. Also they are priced at over $10 apiece for each male and each female fitting so you would have $50 minimum wrapped up in just the inlet and outlet of your rad. Although it seems like a good idea, and many of us have went searching down this path, I've yet to see anybody come up with a practical solution for what you are trying to do.
If you don't have to have them sealed when you disconnect the fittings (like Swiftech's fittings) try searching for John Guest Speedfit fittings, they might do what you need. USPlastics also has them.

peace.
unloaded

Yeah I saw that about it going down to 1/4" or so. I also saw that in their catalog(pdf file) on page 67 they have just underneath the caption "For higher flows with minimum pressure drop applications ask us about our full flow couplings available in 1/2" and 3/4" sizes with .52" orifice".

Would that still make it around 1/2" or so flow opening? According to the catalog they have shutoff couplings with 1/2" barbs they call "in-line". I'm going to go visit them as they are like 10mins from me. If I dig up anymore info I'll post it here.

Last edited:
I would like to bump this one!

Very interested. Off course i guess you could always put a bleedline between the quickdisconnects and the w/c case or raiadtor, provided that you can move it lower then the waterblock, so you'll have to drain the fluid if you need to disconnect. IMO not a bad thing, since you won't be moving it THAT often and it wouldn't be too bad to get the fluid changed out now and then.

M

Welcome to the forums! I'm thinking about using adaptors to go to a very large hose just to use quick connects so that the ID's don't kill my flow.

John Guest Fittings. . . .

Well. . . .

I am in a similar boat and I am instead looking for John Guest fittings. I am interested in the straight adapter 1/4" BPST 3/8"OD [PI011202S], swivel elbow adapter (1/4" BPST, 3/8" OD)
[PI091202S] and the tube insert for my Tygon tubing (the fittings are 5/16"OD size on the site but I have 5/16"ID, 7/16"OD and 1/16 thickness tubing from highspeedPC).

I have emailed US Plastics and they don't have the BPST threaded adapters. So I have also emailed John Guest itself and they have directed me to a distributor but not sure this company will deliver a smaller order of parts. Looking for help if you all could. I need the BPST fittings to work the mostly Innovatek parts and Switech blocks. I do like the John Guest fittings and have a little more experience with them. I know of McMaster/Carr but I don't know if there fittings are the same or similar to John Guest and I would like to see them first. Home Depot or Lowes does not seem to stock speed fittings in my area and ACE Hardware is no different. Fry's is pretty useless in my area although they seem to stock more and more online stuff. They are listed as a Swiftech distributor but I didn't see any products nor did the guys there know (or care; you know it's Fry's. I don't have please sell me crap pasted on my forehead) what I was looking for.

Any suggestions?

i ordered the colder 1/2" barb qc
the female is a bulkhead one(it will connect flush with the back of the case)
and the male will be on the end of the hose

and when you pull them they shut off!!

it was like $30 a set so it cost me $60

i'll get them soon so i'll post on them when i get it up and running

Back