• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.2...is that Good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Purds

I have a 1700+ oc'ed at 2.2 and am wondering how that sizes up in the grand scheme of things?

is this a decent overclock?if I go any further the way things are right now, I lose stability in Prime95...

I have an 8RDA+ with no idea of what revision, running on the BIOS that came with it...

will upgrading the BIOS perhaps allow me to push my chip further? I am a computer n00b, so I am just trying to feel things out, thanks for any replies...

Well it really depends on what stepping your cpu is, but that is pretty decent. The top end on air seems to be about 2.5, while the average is 2.2-2.4, <-not that sure about this, but you can check the cpu database, and yes update your bios to the newest version, it's possible that it will help stability.

Unless you are just looking for #'s in benchmarks 2.2 is a decent overclock outta 1700. Have you increased the vcore to see if that is Y you cant get a higher speed. Also what ram are you using and what fsb are you running theram @.

2.2ghz is a pretty good o/c considering we don't know what your setup is and your h/w is except for the processor and mobo.

Give us more info so we can help you get your o/c higher.

look in sig...

XP1700+
ThermalRight SLK600+
Epox 8RDA+
512M Kingston HyperX pc3000
Antec 400W PSU
Albatron GeForce 4200ti
LG 52x24x52 CDRW

thanx...

What vcore are you running at, and what stepping is it?

If you're at the default 1.5 vcore, then you can most likely o/c a lot higher if you increase it... otherwise, you're stuck.

:(

Im at 1.85V I think in BIOS...

may be time to go shopping for another chip...

let me just make sure I understand this correctly...you are running an XP1700 @ 2.2ghz is that right? So that would be about an 800mhz O/C.
My 1600xp is running at 1650mhz so I guess it could be running faster as thats only a 200mhz O/C! :(

Im not going to try and take over this thread so im going to start one in amd cpu's and i'll include my spec's...need to find out why my O/C is sooooo lame!

his 1700+ is probably a tbred which overclocks like mad, 1600+s are usually palomino which don't overclock nearly as well although some 1600+s are great overclockers but again - not even close to the tbreds

i got my 1700 this morning :D.
currently doing 2.05ghz at 1.52v on an abit KD7.
its a JUIHB 0308 DLT3C.
only got a volcano7 cooling it, and witha crapy 30cfm fan on it coz my smartfan died. it does 46c full load. Im very impressed with it!

Last edited:
For the Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C using air cooling, I think the HSF and PSU are the most important thing to get to the max clock, due to its high power and high current nature of the chip (lower transistor threshold).

When it is getting hotter, the CPU Icore will increase drastically due to hotter die temperature and leakage current. If it is not kept under certain temperature (I estimate around 50C, +- measurement and calibration errors), the CPU will be unstable and eventually crashes.

Also at max oc at 1.9V, 2.5 GHz, the current Icore is much higher than at default 1.5V 1.5 GHz. The active current is about 2.1 times, and the active power is 2.7 times that of the default 1.5V 1.5GHz. If the PSU 5V or 12V lines (depends on the mb) are not sufficient to supply the active current for Icore and to mainatin the Vcore stable, the system will also be unstable, leading to all kind of crashes (BSOD, video corruption, prime95 crash, ...).

This is a link Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C 2.5+ GHz air results. It shows the details of a setup to get to 2.5+ GHz on air stable, and also how HS and PSU are important to get to the last 100 MHz.

Currently, it can boot into windows XP at 2.6+ GHz. But I think it will require more aggressive cooling to have it working stable at that speed and beyond.

Last edited:
mine is a B=core Tbred, JIUHB, dont know the stepping...

I have an SLK600+ with a 60mm Delta for cooling and it doesnt see past 41-42 degrees celsius...

I still think I want to go grab another chip, I wanted to see a higher FSB...I am only into the 190s...

I would have to say Buying a cpu isn't going to help you see a High fsb Maybe doing the vdd and buying faster ram might.

Back