• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to paint my keyboard......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NOThelagak

any ideas bout paintin the keys themselves?? i mean the rest of it, no problem... but im kinda at a los on the keys.. they will go everywhere when the spray paint hits em.

maybe find stencils with letters and numbers,etc to make it look nice and professional (nothing like handpainted letters on a keyboard ;) )

Mavis Typing Beacon helps you not need the keys, when I painted my first keyboard key setup, I had to learn to type blind, now all I need to learn to do is spell :OD

Pull them off and paint them, do them in order if you have a special keyboard that has differing sized keys.

Save yourself some egg cartons. Tear the tops off, and flip the remaining upsidedown. Now get something for the keys to stand on (plastic straws, shish-kebob sticks, etc... whatever fits). Put the keys on whatever you choose to use, and punch it into the upside down egg carton, then paint away.

KnowlesTech said:
Mavis Typing Beacon helps you not need the keys, when I painted my first keyboard key setup, I had to learn to type blind, now all I need to learn to do is spell :OD

who needs how to spell?!?!... that's why god invented spell check :D ... but seriously, there's no easy way to paint keys and then replace the characters with stickers, tatoos, decals, iron ons, etc... i've read that the new characters rub or fall off way to easy... what i want to do is just find a keyboard with either black or grey keys then repaint the rest of it the color of my choice... my $0.02

Save yourself some egg cartons. Tear the tops off, and flip the remaining upsidedown. Now get something for the keys to stand on (plastic straws, shish-kebob sticks, etc... whatever fits). Put the keys on whatever you choose to use, and punch it into the upside down egg carton, then paint away.

wow. awsome idea.

and about the lettering: i plan on leaving most of em blank (so non-nerds cant use it) and just gonna use a sharpie to put the symbols on the keys i dont know, ( ~!@#$%^&*()_+ , tab, f-keys etc ) and then clear coat over the sharpie. i think that will look pretty cool. :)

I agree with tatanka..

Decals for the keys can be gotten, and work quite well. Thats the route I was going to go, then I wussed out and bought a black IBM net access keyboard. *LoL*

nice.. but i want a red microsoft natural keyboard... never seen one. so ill make one myself. and i dont want my annoying dorm neightbors being able to sit down and type. lol

wow..it seems like a lot of work for a keyboard.

i wish you the best of luck with it .

let me and others how it worked out? maybe a link to a pic/?

right now im stuck with a generic 5-10 dollar keyboard due to the fact that i spent most of my dollars on a better processor and mobo. the most used keys, i.e."e", "a" "s" etc etc are wearing out and i cant tell what they say..my "c" key looks like a ( and my "o" key looks like a "c" ;)

maybe i should do the same, i typing semi-blind here

i plan on painting it this weekend, ill have pics early next week if anyone wants to see

If you really want the letters back on... there is a COSTLY solution. If you go to a hobby store you can buy some special 'paper'. Basically its a water decal paper, that you can print on, and it turns into water decals. The only problem is its about $20 for 2 8x11 sheets. This is more than enough to do your keyboard a couple times though...

Neat stuff overall, if it sounds appealing, I'll give you some more details :)

that does sound cool, but a couple problems.

A. more than i wanna spend on letters.
B. i DONT WANT the regular letters so non-nerds cant type.
C. i can jsut just a sharpie and clear coat it and have a cool font on there too! lol

Rocko[DPC] said:
If you really want the letters back on... there is a COSTLY solution. If you go to a hobby store you can buy some special 'paper'. Basically its a water decal paper, that you can print on, and it turns into water decals. The only problem is its about $20 for 2 8x11 sheets. This is more than enough to do your keyboard a couple times though...

Neat stuff overall, if it sounds appealing, I'll give you some more details :)

Apparently this stuff has come WAY down in price since I last used it a few years back. Of course that $20 was for a kit that included the clear coat you need to complete it, but what a rip :p

If anyone is interested, this is the stuff...

http://www.water-decals.com/

At roughly $1.10 for an 8.5x11 sheet for inkjet, and $.80 a sheet for laser paper, it isnt exactly a COSTLY solution anymore :) Only thing you need to buy is a can of clear coat, and youre all set.

Just thought I would post this because this stuff is really neat. Itll look a hell of a lot better than a sharpie (unless youre a monk) and you dont have to do standard keys, you can print ANYTHING you want on it!

that is cool..... hmm... might go that route for the symboles and such that i dont knwo by heart.. but the keys are stayin blank darnit! lol

its not a gatway keyboard A-.... *sigh* guess i shouldn t flame you this time..... stop threadcrapin

Back