• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI KT4 Ultra and a 2500+ or higher. question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schismspeak

I have the board in my sig and i wanted to know if i had to update the bios for it to recognize a 2500+ barton or higher. the reason im asking is cause i found 2 updated bios's for my mobo on the msi site ones says it will support a 2500+. then the newest says it will support a 2800+(those models are both bartons). do i need to update the bios for it to work or is it most likely just a problem like it wont recognise it properly and then i would have to set the fsb manually. i dont have a floppy, so i cant update it.

Borrow a floppy from someone. Barton is a new core, so most likely without the update the bios won't know how to work the chip.

MSI's Live Update utility is pretty damn reliable for flashing the bios, so go for it.

Get a floppy.
Use the live update.
It'll format and sys/bios the floppy, and reboot your machine.
On boot, the floppy will boot the bios flasher, save your old bios, and flash the new one.

Painless.

Better flash before you install the new cpu or it may not post.
BIOS may not know what voltage to give the cpu which could be problem.

If it doesn't post you would have to put back the old cpu in order to flash so better flash before the upgrade.

Back