• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Brown-outs!! Which power conditioner?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastametz

I have decided that I seriously need to buy a power conditioner/battery backup unit. (my house has little "brown-outs" whenever the heater of a fridge or something turns on)
I read in Computer Source magazine that these "brown-outs" are more of a concern than surges from electrical storms.
I was strolling into Office Depot and was looking at their power conditioners, and saw that there are very many different variations. Then i searched on Pricewatch.com for power conditioners, and got MASS RESULTS!! I have yet to find a more dependable source for advice than overclockers...thus, this thread.
This is my current computer config: Abit AT7-MAX2-r mobo, 1.33 ghz T-bird, 300 watt ps, 256mb Corsair 3200 400mhz ddr ram w/platinum heat spreader, ATI all in wonder radeon 7500, sound blaster audigy platinum, maxtor 32 gb ATA-133 7200 rpm hdd, samsung 20gb ATA-100 7200 rpm hdd, cdrom, burner,...fdd...
What would you people recommend for my power conditioner purchase?

p.s. I seen the age pole; i am 13 :rolleyes:

I have an APC 500 model back up UPS and its been a great piece of hardware. I've had it fo 3 years now with no problem. When I bought it new it cost $150 now they seem to run for about $80-90. The model I have is good for about 6-7 mins with the computer and moniter pluged in. Plenty of time to save and shut down if need be and more than enough for some brown outs(I have them also).

Tebore said:
I second the APC product I also have a 500 model.

I third the APC stuff, have the 500 model myself and it's great knowing my PC won't fry thanks to surges/power failure/brown outs.

Unless you want the ability to finish what you're working on, I would shoot for cheap and just get something that will allow you to keep running until the PC has time to shut down.

Pinky said:

I third the APC stuff, have the 500 model myself and it's great knowing my PC won't fry thanks to surges/power failure/brown outs.
Unless you want the ability to finish what you're working on, I would shoot for cheap and just get something that will allow you to keep running until the PC has time to shut down.

I can agree with Pinky, when I bought mine it was the lowest priced one they had. But it had what I needed, 2 battery powered plugs and 1 surge protected plug for my compand moniter. Now they(APC) offer other choices in more price ranges.

Even the lowly 500 model I have has features I dont use or need like the remote shutdown. If you haven't read about that one its a feature that you pay a subscription fee and then plug your phone line through the UPS and enable APC to shut down your comp if it sences the battery getting to low from an extended power outage.

I've got an APC Back-UPS Pro 650 plugged into a Powervar ABC1200-11 power conditioner. The conditioner takes care of the little sags, and the UPS kicks in if that isn't enough. It's a great combo.

What about internet? I hear that cable lines provide a good route in....I just want some surge protection....I don't care about my data, I just want to keep my parts from frying.

edit:

ohhhh I see, the phone lines can also be used for ethernet, lol

Last edited:
DaveSauce said:
What about internet? I hear that cable lines provide a good route in....I just want some surge protection....I don't care about my data, I just want to keep my parts from frying.

Not a heck of a lot you can do, but the one cosolation is that your cable modem is likely to fry well before any electricity is conducted through the network/usb cable into the PC.

Another note about cable/dsl - get something to stop surges through those lines too - my poor dsl modem has been fried because of a surge through the phone line.

Back