• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i have a question... faster memory or more memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

currently i am running on some lame kingston pc2100 128mb..... i just ordered some kingston hyperx 512mb pc2700..... my question to you guys is this...

which one would give me better performance?
if i add the 512mb of stick fo the 128 i already have for a total of 640mb?

or if i scrap the 128 and just get my 512... (i have an asus a7n8x deluxe....) and run my mem async with my fsb at like 200mhz fsb...

NOTE: the cpu is used for some gaming... web browsing... sometimes folding... you know just average every day use.... eventually i will turn it into a video editing machine.... but not right now....

Gee dude ..... nice question you got here?? the same question would be: "should I save myself, my wife or my daughter first ???"
Of course all those three are equally important.

More RAM means more tasks can be handle while more MHZ Speed means faster tasks can be done. I think you should buy PC3200 512mb and forget PC2100 128mb. Donate it.

512 Meg is enough for most things, I'd sell the 128 meg stick and run the Kingston as fast as possible. HyperX overclocks pretty good.

hey thanks guys....only thing is... i gotta my a better hsf before i can do some real serious overclocking... i will go back to winxp though.... (when i had xp on with the 128 it was almost unbearable.....) i plan on getting a hsf sometime june..... (as i have to prioritize which i need more....a hard drive or the hsf....) but then, i'll drop down another stick of 512, and overclock my processor to the limit.... (i got a 1700+ t-bred b JIUHB these are known to o/c very well)

Definately get more Ram rather then faster. Faster is absolutely 100% better compared to the same amount, but I'd rather have 256MB SDRAM anyday over 128MB DDR.

Back