• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use onboard NIC or use seperate NIC card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the hammer

I have a NF7-S v2.0 MB. I already know that Soundstorm is less CPU demanding than any Sound card that you can use. I was wondering if anybody knew if this was also the case using the onboard NIC versus an add in NIC card with this MB? I have a couple of Linksys NIC cards sitting around that can be used if they have less demand on my CPU.

Thanks,
Hammer

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

the hammer said:
I have a NF7-S v2.0 MB. I already know that Soundstorm is less CPU demanding than any Sound card that you can use. I was wondering if anybody knew if this was also the case using the onboard NIC versus an add in NIC card with this MB? I have a couple of Linksys NIC cards sitting around that can be used if they have less demand on my CPU.

Thanks,
Hammer

I use the on-board NIC and have absotootly no problem with it, it's just as fast as my Two Netgear/3 com's and my home network is VERY smooth... IMO I would just sell them bad boys and re-invest in some more goodies for your system, Or you can save them and build a couple more systems around them like I did for my Folding@Home Farm :eek:

The choice is yours, Choose Well!

DpGravy

whats the difference? im using the onboard NIC on my KD7 and its fine. its not like its going o be noticably faster or slower is it? as long as its 10/100.

Cheesy Peas said:
whats the difference? im using the onboard NIC on my KD7 and its fine. its not like its going o be noticably faster or slower is it? as long as its 10/100.

You are Absolutely correct Cheesy Peas, I haven't noticed any difference what so ever ;)

This is why I use the onboard NIC... :D

DpGravy

Pla said:
His question was whether the on-board NIC consumes CPU cicles or not.

I don't have an answer for that and my guess is no.

I Couldn’t say one way or another, but if I were to take an uneducated guess, I would have to say defiantly no!! Simply because the Sound Storm is "Onboard" as well, and I know it does NOT cause a hit on the CPU what so ever ;)

Man this is a nice board... :D

DpGravy

Back