• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Locking-Up Online

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phil7C

Have had problems for ages on a 18-month-old system which my bro uses (for those in the UK, it's a Mesh), but have finally decided to sort them out......

it locks-up online - mouse + keyboard freezes and sound cycles (0.5sec repeats)
averages 25min between lock-ups in IE, OE and Day Of Defeat (which is really p1ssing my brother off)

don't have too many problems offline (standard occasional BSOD)

have already tried swapping my own (perfectly working) modem into the system but to no avail. The manufacturers have put a new mobo in and reinstalled Windows (basically Windows corrupted itself when I was at university)

simple plan would be to reinstall Windows and update all the drivers etc, but does anyone have any experience/knowledge of similar problems?

any suggestions would be much appreciated............

Spec:

AMD T-Bird 900Mhz (at default - 9*100 @ 1.75V)
- Temp: Asus Probe records 60C, SiSoft Sandra reports 50C
(probably 60C - it's a crappy HSF and mobo temp is 31C)

Asus A7V KT133 rev1.04
not sure if KT133A - WCPUID reckons it is, but it's got a VIA VT82C686A Southbridge and I thought that was only with the original KT133 Northbridge?

does ACPI Bios Revision 1007 make sense?

Via 4-in-1 4.35

1*256MB Crucial (Micron RAM) set to 3T.2T.2T

20GB IBM DTLA-305020

Asus V7100(T) GF2MX 32MB
- methinks Detonator 4.13? AA off.

Creative Labs SB Audio PCI

Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-115

Conexant HCF V90 56K PCI Modem

Realtek PCI NIC

Win 98SE

PSU is a 250W Chieftec - SiSoft Sandra reports:
CPU Core = 1.76V
Aux Voltage = 0.11V
+3.3 = 3.54V
+5 = 4.89V
+12 = 12.10V
-12 = -12.10V
-5 = -5.04V

Yes, I've seen this before... think, in my case, it was a VIA drivers/chipset issue. Once the chipset drivers were updated the problem went away. On another system it was related to my overlcock, heat being the cause (it was coincidence I got as far as the internet each time when testing I thought it was the network card, but returned to stock speeds and it stopped locking up :rolleyes: ). There could be other factors, but those are 2 examples of identical issues and 2 different causes.

BTW, welcome to the forums :)

Oh, just wanted to add that 99% of my random issues went away once I stopped overclocking and started using XP Professional. ;)

Last edited:
cheers for the suggestion, but I just updated to Via 4-in-1 v4.35 (the VIA website said that was the last version optimised for Win98SE) and it completely locked-up within seconds of logging on to the server the next two times that I went online

- could be a complete coincidence, but I can't remember it locking-up so quickly before, and certainly not twice in succession. Will get my brother playing DofD to test it out ;)

re: your second point - it's running at default speeds and voltage and I don't think it's hot enough for heat to be the cause?

any other ideas????????

Back